nipple waterers and winter time...what do you do?

I am in north FL about 1/2 hr from the GA line. We do get cold enough to break metal pipes if they are not protected. Since the tank only holds a max. 3 1/2 gal. A small heater would keep it from freezing in much colder areas.
If nothing else it would save a lot of labor several months a year.

It will keep the water in the bucket warm, but the water along the nipple line may not stay warm unless it is circulating or you have some type of heat source for the nipple pipe like a flexble tape pipe heater.

It will keep the water in the bucket warm, but the water along the nipple line may not stay warm unless it is circulating or you have some type of heat source for the nipple pipe like a flexble tape pipe heater.
That is exactly why I installed the Little Giant Pump. You can see that the line of nipples loops back to the tank. Where I am the pump was enough but you may need a heater.

Now I see. I looked at the pics without fully reading the text in your first post. Your idea is similar to the one in that YouTube video I posted. I hope to have something like that rigged up once the cold weather comes. Thanks for posting your version.

Now I see. I looked at the pics without fully reading the text in your first post. Your idea is similar to the one in that YouTube video I posted. I hope to have something like that rigged up once the cold weather comes. Thanks for posting your version.
I looked at heat tape and it ran about $40.00 and my concern was that the girls would peck at it. The Little Giant pump at Lowe's was $12.00

Back
Top Bottom