Nipple waterers with 5 gallon bucket

Quote:
Lots of shade, a dirt base for them to dig in, and lots of water. If they need more, add a fan blowing on them.
Good advice.

If you are in a high humidity area. misting will not help. Seldom in the US does evaporative cooling not work above 84 degrees. You just do not want to use more water than can evaporate.

Down here we have had heat indexes in the 105 degree range most of last week and my BO's have done fine with no fan. As mentioned, shade, dirt & water is what you need.

Forget the ice in the water etc. etc. I find that having cool water is quite advantageous in that it does lower internal body temperature some an also decreases the birds overdrinking which can cause lots of other problems. In hot areas we find that making a nipple drinker system into a loop complete with chillers and insulated pipe is quite advantageous. Even considering a high initial and operational cost. Ice in the water is much more useful than a frozen bottle of water for the bird to lay against. Remember that they wear a down coat year round.

Quote:
Anybody have a clever way to keep one of these from freezing in the winter?

Or the cup drinkers with the 5 gal bucket. If I keep the water in the bucket from freezing, is that enough to keep the hose and cups liquid, too? It'll hit -20 here, but not usually for more than a couple days at a time....

I just bought the pieces to make something similar to the cup idea but with nipples in the pvc pipe. I've read of some people using an aquarium thermostat to keep the water from freezing. We don't get as cold as you but this will be a concern of mine, so I'll be keeping an eye out at yard sales for one.

Do the nipples have to be sticking straight down or can they be screwed into the side of the bucket? I am wanting to convert my 5-gallon waterer purchased from Atwoods to using nipples instead of the tray. I can only do that if the nipples will work screwed into the side of the waterer.

The nipples need to point straight down or they will not work properly. The pin that controls the water flow has to be in a vertical position for it to close off the supply. If not, all the water will leak out.

I have a 5 gallon bucket outside of my coop that is easy to fill that runs into the run along the wall and connects to 2 cups.

Quote:
Anybody have a clever way to keep one of these from freezing in the winter?

Or the cup drinkers with the 5 gal bucket. If I keep the water in the bucket from freezing, is that enough to keep the hose and cups liquid, too? It'll hit -20 here, but not usually for more than a couple days at a time....

Bird bath deicer. And no, the hose and cups will freeze. The nipples will to, but when the chickens tickle them, the water will allow water to flow.

Back
Top Bottom