Nipple watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorraine Perth, Feb 2, 2014.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I just drop a de-icer in the bucket. For my small drinkers we make a heated box unit with only the nipple sticking out or place the container on a seedling heat mat if it's one of our small drinkers for the bantams. We use the horizontal nipples which are spring loaded so they don't have to hang.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lone Star Lady

Lone Star Lady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    We are new to nipple watering, but what we see is that they don't all try to drink at once. I would think two nipples would be quite sufficient for 10 to 12 hens.

3. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Absolutely correct.
    Absolutely correct.

4. ChickenPapaCT

ChickenPapaCT Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2014
    Southern CT
    Thanks Pawtraitart! That's a great idea. I was going to run PVC pipes, but I am re-thinking that now.

ChickenPapaCT

5. jeffs1979

jeffs1979 New Egg

Feb 13, 2014
    When its hot they drink a lot of water. Might want to put in 4 just to be sure.

6. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Horizontal nipples in a 55 gallon drum

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I prefer to have at least two watering stations, even if there are only a few birds, so the ones lower on the pecking order have a better chance of getting a drink and not being run off by an alpha.

8. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas

I have two buckets - one in the run and one in the coop. 4 nipples on the one in the run and three on the one in the coop. My chicks have a bad habit of blocking the pop door, so I want options on both sides and backup nipples on each bucket.

1 person likes this.
  9. Samjoe

Samjoe Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    My 6 red pullets were using horizontal nipples before I left the coop. Literally started using them within a minute or two.

10. ml143333

ml143333 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is the automatic watering system we have now. My husband is making a different version for the coop itself. The chickens took to it really quickly in the brooder so we just moved it to the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by