Nippy Goslings

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
One minute I am dad, next I am food. My one gosling has decided to terrorize me on occasions by believing my fingers, hand, arms, and just about anything else is food. It’s teaching the other one the habit now and they’re both either gnawing on me or whatever else they can find. It was cute at first but the back of their bills feels like sand paper and boy does it hurt! What is the cause of this behaviour? There is no aggression visible that I see, just a taste for parent meat. Other than that they’re pretty sweet and coming along! Definitely can tell they trust me.

Apart from the tug o’ war sessions between me and my baby with my finger as the rope.

You’re their favorite toy, it means they like you. Goslings will chew on their parents feathers, so it’s not that unusual, some are more nippy than others.

You can always try to distract them with some other chewy stringy thing that they can’t swallow. When they get too rough while chewing on your fingers you can rub and apply gently pressure on their bills to remind them to have a soft mouth and say “soft” or whatever you want as a means of training them. It can help after awhile.

Back
Top Bottom