Nite Guard update

yinepu---

Thanks for posting. Hope that you have continued success, and losses stay at zero!

I attach mine to the coop run, and only move them when the run and coop get moved (like a tractor) about every-other-day now. Since April, no real indication of any predators near my chickens, and I know that they are around our area, including raccoon, skunk, coyote, feral cat from who knows where was seen down by the barn.

My question is how often do you move your lights?

Quote:
thanks,
I had planned on moving them every few weeks.. then i wondered just how long it would take for our local predators to "get used" to the lights.. so I figured I would try this:
I have a "test egg" that I leave out just barely outside of the protected area.. (but you can get a glimpse of the lights if you go just off to the side of it).. IF the egg disappears or I if find broken shells.. then I'll know the predators are getting bolder.. so that's when i'll move the lights over by a few feet.. so far I haven't had to... (and i do replace the egg with a fresh one every so often).. I know all of the predators that we have in the area wouldn't turn down a free egg... but so far it looks like they don't trust the lights to get THAT close to the protected area.. I know for a fact they are still out there because i have spotted a few further out.. they just haven't gotten up the nerve to venture in too close.. we are way out in the country though.. so our critters aren't used to flashing lights like a "city predator" would be

Quote:
You know that might just work...it would probably scare any animal away. On the other hand, it might attract too much interest from the neighbors and it might also distress the chickens.
lol.png

luckily for me our closest neighbors are cows.. though i would still feel sorry for them if I had to resort to that tactic!
lau.gif

I have Nite Guard, too. My opossum disappeared when I got them and the fox only came out before they came on, which was a worry, hence the GUN, but after the fourth of July and the four breaks and mortars in the yard, the fantastic Mr. Fox ran away...darn...ha

My advice would be to set off some fireworks every once in awhile, too. This we learned by accident. Very pretty and has an added side benefit of scaring the crap out of some predators. My son is a bit of a pyrotechnics fanatic and we always seem to have some in the garage.

deb g

I bought four Nite Guards and placed them at the specified height to ward off raccoons and other small predators. That night, the raccoons pulled chicks out six inches to a foot from where the lights were mounted. They had to be looking directly at the light to get to the chicks. Not very confident in these things. I think it may be due to the facts that the wild animals around here are so use to people. Good luck.

I have a question for those who have used the Night Guard lights. What effect do they have on pet cats? We have a terrible problem with opossums coming into our garage and chowing down on the cats' food. They are not afraid of the cats, or dicouraged by the dog scent in the area, and are only marginally afraid of humans. My husband dispatched one just a few days ago. I would like to try some of these lights to keep the opossums away, but will it also frighten away the cats?

Back
Top Bottom