No back feathers

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
Has anybody had a chicken/roo that just doesn't grow the hard feathers? We have a Splash laced red Wyandotte and he has a few feathers on his back, but most of it is just the down feathers. He's been like this since I got him and I thought maybe he was molting and would grow his big boy feathers in. Nope. His tail is beautiful as is the rest of him. But nothing on his back. He doesn't get picked on by anybody and there's no sign of irritation on the skin. He gets a high protein feed (we've tried feather fixer but since moved to chicken and game feed because we have ducks, turkeys, and quail as well).

Its not the best picture as he wouldnt stay still. But it shows his back. And now that I think of it I dont think he has molted since we've had him. Hopefully they grow back in!
20190911_173555.jpg

He may just have weak/brittle/funky feathering.
Any idea what breed or cross he is?
He may molt this fall, that may clear it up....or not.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

He may just have weak/brittle/funky feathering.
Any idea what breed or cross he is?
He may molt this fall, that may clear it up....or not.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice

He's a wyandotte and no signs of lice or mites. I treat regularly to make sure as well. Hopefully they grow back after a molt! I'm going to have to buy him a sweater

Back
Top Bottom