try this photo bucket thing
roll.png

2nd try

1st try

Still nothing at noon

3rd try similer to 1st but can't see eggs they wrapped up more in heat pad

Last edited:
Any luck yet?

For some reason I don't think my eggs made it. It's day 23 here.. I'm afraid maybe my thermom is off and temps ran low. I don't know. I did candle last night (day 22), and thought I saw movement in one egg, but Idk. The odd thing is bator temps had gone up a bit the last 3 days (from 99.5 to 100.4), and I took that as a sign they were getting ready to hatch. Temps dropped back down today, though
sad.png
so hope it wasn't a sign after all.

Anyway, hope your guys hatched out for you!

Meghan

Hi Queen, oh no......its devastating ( ) theres a hug for you

Dont give up though, I've been doing a LOT of research and every little fluctuation can cost a day longer!
Temps go up before hatching?
Wished I'd known that....everytime moved in temp I was all over it reajusting lights heater sheesh maybe I should have left it alone here
Well mine were doing nothing so I candled them, again.
No movement, but great air bubble in a few.
1)I decided thru looking and candling pics on internet that mine are all at different stages.
left that alone for a couple days
2) decided I would try a water test I had read about on here, think it was writer of words? the eggs are placed in water cooler than the egg, if alive the jiggle. None of mine moved.
So I dried them all off and placed on a tea towel and stared at them for any sign of life, nothing. Listened and nothing
But, while I was listening I was surprised to find 7 of the 11 had heated back up, where the others stayed at the water temp.
So, now I'm thinking those 7 must have warm living babies inside? so they are back in the makeshift bator.
I'm trying hard to stop allowing them to make me this crazy.
I have the others sitting on the tea towel and if I had the nerve I would open one to see what happened. But I cant bring myself to do it.
Now I've likely done more damage to the warm eggs too?
I am sure you will get babies yet Queen, why not wait a couple more days? nothing to lose at this point....maybe something good will happen, and you SAW one move!!!!
Me? I'm not talking to them anymore, I dont look in every time I walk by, trying to forget they are even there, when they start to stink I'll know for sure. they have been at 101 all day so I'm happy and so should they be.
I opened an egg from the coop yesterday and it was fertile, so maybe the coop will produce and they wont kill them.
I'm getting rid of the rooster this summer, and just have eggs to eat.
He's so handsome though, no idea what he is but his tails gotten longer!
Even the coopers didn't want to talk to me today, they have a memory huh?
By the way, mine went thru 2 more heat spikes, what do you call one thats not quite chicken and not quite an egg, and possibly cooked? eggin? cheggin?
I don't mean to depress anyone....sorry...maybe a thread should open with funny chicken stories and pics etc...God bless your babies queen and may He kick their little butts out tonight!!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

I've left them in since they don't smell, also. Might try the water test, I didn't even think of that.

I have a few that are due on monday, but I'm not too crazy about how they look. I just don't understand. For once I went by water wiggler temps, instead of mean temp in there. Had better luck with averaging high/low! Weird.

I do have 3 more due Monday, gave them their last candling a couple of days ago. Not liking how they look, since they seem to be behind, but guess I'll find out in a few more days for sure.

Anyway, this'll be it for me trying for awhile. My last hatch was a zero, although progress was much better than this time. One chick had made it to the end with that group, just didn't hatch. This is all pretty heartbreaking.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Hope your little eggs are growing, growing.

Meghan

Edited to add: Did the egg-float thing. One was bobbing around like mad, so I put them back in. Maybe there is hope for them yet! Wonder what the longest is that an egg has ever been incubated, and still hatched out a healthy chick?

Last edited:
That's AWESOME! Can't wait

thought I heard a peep last night but was as my large son walked by likely the floor creaked. got me excited....

I found where we buy all the breeds here....not too many on the site didn't make it to my list.

Do you know, if (dumb question) roosters only breed their own kind? or any chicken will do...
Guess these new ones would be shipped unsexed, could get stuck with a bunch of roo's?
I kinda imagined them all growing up together in the same coop/yard and getting along for the most part. ?
How does that work?

Maybe we'll both get something to hatch yet!!

Roosters are not very picky. They don't really care if their gf is a Barred Rock or a RIR. My little d'Anvers roo "has intimate time" with the Big Girls all the time. So far no fertile eggs, but he still tries.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said you found the breeds.. did you mean here on BYC, or in your hometown? If you get them all as day olds, then they will bond together as a flock (although I'm thinking when they come of age, the roos may still fight?) even if they aren't all the same breed. If you need to integrate them into an older flock, that's a little more tricky, but can be done.

ACK, house is noisy today. Must be the sunshine!

Keep me posted on your eggs!!

Meghan

Hi Queen, nice when the sun shines, brightens up peoples outlook lol
I found them in my Province....exciting!
Remember I'm new at this so had no idea about purchasing locations here. However it would be a ten hour drive.
The chickens we have now are all in too big a coop, so I'm thinking (hubby hates when I do that rofl) we (he knows I mean 'him') could build a smaller one for these guys and use the bigger one for the new chickens.
No problem getting day olds, this hatching thing is way too hard for/on me!
Only thing is how many roos I would end up with and then the mixing of breeds too......the 6 chickens and 1 roo I have now came from a lady who I now realise breeds chickens...very excited to talk and show her flocks....she had some really ugly chickens there she hatched from blue eggs! I said "oh you have turkeys too?" she said "no they are chickens"
She shrugged her shoulders and explained "well they lay good!"
Makes me wanna watch out for blue eggs!
Anyways I was busy picking out the most "designer" chickens from her flocks....but hubby was talking to her and told me this morning our chickens are crossed with game birds.
He thinks our three dark ones are banties.
We have two lighter brown ones.
One white and tan
The roo is very handsome and colourful.
Must post pics for you, today is very cold so have to wait on that....they would have to be outside for good shots.
Can't wait for nice weather spring will be so appreciated!
Nothing yet Queen? come ON chickies!!!

Well I gave up, and braved up, opened several eggs, all dead. Watching them hatch would have been awesome, and it excites me for others experiencing it, but this was a roller coaster ride of emotion. But never say never, will likely try again but not any time soon.
Thanks to everyone who helped with encouragement-meant a lot to me-and great advice too.
Meghan hows yours doing?

I think you had the right idea in your attempt to bring the broody into the house. Next time (if there is a next time) bring the boody in at night and keep it dark. When it gets light out she won't notice the difference.

Back
Top Bottom