No bator

newbiecaroline

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
Alberta
My chicks are in a box with overhead lights.
Temp had been 99 for 2 days
I read it should be 101 with no fan
is that just for incubators?
is 99 still good in an open box?
The temp also got to 110 overnight due to our heating getting fixed last night, half the house was not working turns out the water had froze for some of the floor rads.
So sometime when I was sleeping the rooms got warmer and the heat went up in the box
be lucky if they survive this.
so what temp should they be at in an open box with overhead lights?
sadly, caroline

yeah that is a little warm,pretty much for hatching eggs just make sure that they have enough room to get away from the heat if they get too warm and have lots of fresh water and free choice feed

Hopefully the air temp was up and not the inside of the eggs.

All I can say is keep an eye on them and candle them to see how they are doing. Don't forget to add a little dish of water to help the air stay moist.

On second thought, candle them now and make notes, in a couple days candle them again and check for changes and growth.

I don't know how else to help you here.

you have chicks, right? The little fluffy peepy poopy things, not the roundish brown or white or greenish silent breakable things?
wink.png

Then you do not need an incubator, you need (to make) a brooder.

The temps you quote are for incubators not brooders. A brooder should start at 95 F for the first week (it's a little more complicated than that -- look it up elsewhere on this site, but look about BROODERS not incubators)

Temp control doesn't matter quite as much w/ a brooder box as long as the chicks have room to move towards or away from the heat source as they need.

Good luck,

Pat

see, miss prissy obviously really *does* know everything, she got it right after all! LOL

How are you measuring your temperatures - I would think this would be a situation where you would REALLY need/want to do it from inside a water wiggler or homemade version thereof.

Pat

Candled them 2 days ago when brought indoors and they are solid mass, all dark. So worst thing is this 110 last night!
and 99 is good for open box? as in no fan but not in a bator?
I'm in another thread named help plz that explains more.
I could place a fan near the box but wondering if that make things colder or is required.

It would be best to have temps of around 100 to 101 at the top of your eggs. The bigger problem you will have it the need for humidity. It is best to have about a 50% humidity level for your eggs right now and then bump it up to 65 to 70 % at hatch time. You might want to put your box in a plastic bag and then get a bowl of water in beside the eggs. Then you can also put a couple sponges in the bowl to give a large surface area. cover the top of the box with part of the plastic and then maybe a towel to keep in the moisture but also to give adaquate air cerculation. Just some ideas. Keep us informed on how they are doing. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom