No Bite

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
how do you train them not to bite? I have 2 khakis, not super friendly but I'm able to handle them.

The Peking(that's what I'm assuming it is--can anyone tell me that?) is more friendly, but bites me when he wants attention. No bite works sometimes, but not all the time and it can hurt. Can you even teach a duck not to bite?

The duck in question(Sunny)

image.jpg

Is it hurtful? Mine pick at me, but it kind of tickles. I close my hand into a fist and they stop. Then, if I open my palm back up they start up again - usually wanting the mealworms in my hand.
I have wondered if they will bite when they are older since I am teaching them to do this.
How old is your duckling?

He is 4 weeks. I don't think he is doing it to be mean but I do t want it to become a habit. As you know they can clear food in about .2 seconds. I move my hand/arm and tell him (I think it's a he)no and he backs off. If he sits there looking at me without biting I tell him good boy. It doesn't tickle and I'm pretty sure it will really hurt the bigger he gets

When they are little they love nibbling and checking out everything with their bills. They don’t have hands to touch things so that’s kind of their only option! Mine quit once they got a bit older :)

Good to know, because today he was going for my breast and that hurt, little booger. I have to clean the bathtub and I get in there with them. They always nibble my hair. I don't get mad at them, they make me laugh. I completely understand that they use the bills for everything--makes complete sense. I just don't want them to draw blood..lol

Back
Top Bottom