No Chickens in Charlotte, NC

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from south carolina/fla.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
hope you can
fl.gif

Hi from another Charlottean...I'm in the Steele Creek area too, just a couple minutes from iamcuriositycat. Charlotte livestock info is on the animal control website.

Love my chickens, they're fun to watch.

I live in Charlotte and have just started my flock with 4 pullets. 2 Dominiques, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Buff Orpington,
I plan to increase the flock to a maximum of 12 hens, (no rooster) in March. I am thinking about Ameraucanas

I have an 6x8 coop with a 6x10 enclosed run. A premit is required if you are to be legal. I am still learning about raising chickens, but I have also learned a lot. Do your homework first and plan for their home and feeding. Buying the chickens,
or chcks should be the last thing you do, not one of the first.

Lar

Welcome I just started out last week and the neighbors seem to like the chickens they come around and look after them during the day.
Go ahead make the jump.

Hey Caroline,

I live just outside of Plaza-Midwood in Charlotte and have been thinking of doing this for years. I just did a little research on the city code for Charlotte and found the actual code here:

http://library.municode.com/mobile/search.aspx?search=chicken&clientID=19970

It looks like you CAN have chickens anywhere within Charlotte. You have to pay $40/year for your livestock permit and your coop has to be inspected by the city to be sure it's up to code.

The biggest hurdle for me is that the coop can't be closer than 25' from any property line - it really cuts down on where I could put my prospective coop. Guess I'll just have to be happy with my garden :)

Good luck!

Austen

Hello I hope someone can help.
We have a grandson turning 1 on 29th July, 2012, who lives in Charlotte NC. We would like to buy 1 Chicken pref an Australorp (because both his parents were born in Australia), does anyone know where I would buy a Australorp between 12-20 weeks old near Charlotte, as we live in Australia?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom