no chickens yet.

goofymom1003

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hello everyone, I am new to chicken raising so I was hoping to get some help and ideas from some experienced chicken lovers. We have seven acres of land here in Lebanon Tennessee and at one time we had an above ground pool that had a deck surrounding the whole pool. Well the pool had a blow out so now we are left with a free standing deck that is about 3-4 feet above the ground, and where the pool was we have a nice layer of sand. I thought this would be a good place to put a chicken coop and start raising layers. We have a water and electrical source in this area. I am wanting to put a fence around the bottom of the deck to protect the chickens but not sure what kind of fence I should use.

Greetings from Kansas, goofymom1003, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sounds like you have a good set up to become a chicken keeper! Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
If you fence it will there be a way for you to get inside to clean up, feed them etc. Will this be their coop or run? For a safer run I would put down a chicken wire floor over the whole extent of the run - and then cover with gravel, sand, whatever you plan on using. This will help prevent digging predators from coming up thru the bottom. For fencing ,the best is 1/2" hardware cloth- so raccoon can't reach in and chew off any part of a chicken that comes near.

I'm sure others will be along to give you more suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom