No chicks yet, gaaaahhhhh!!!!!

Sad update... all 6 chicks arrived peeping, but the bantam "Mille Fleur d'Uccle" did seem the most lethargic of the group. The others are all full-sized breeds. Despite the broody taking her in same as all the rest, she just faded within hours and was gone by the afternoon. Right in my hand, she took a last few sips of water with Nutri-Drench and then went to sleep and stopped breathing. So very peaceful, so very sad. Perhaps shipping is harder on bantams with their smaller size? :hit

The other 5 shipped chicks and 1 newborn hatchling are all doing well so far, *knock on wood*, and are snuggled underneath Abda's wings with just their toes occasionally sticking out underneath, giving them away. Kinda like when you check to see if a bathroom stall is occupied. :lol: So, so sweet... :love The other eggs have been abandoned, as I suppose Abda feels she now has her hands full with 6 babies... I wasn't sure how many would hatch, if any, so for now I'm not sure what to do. We don't own an incubator. No signs of pipping, tomorrow is technically day 21/22... advice?

Bantams don't often do well when shipped with Standards but it is usually when they are cold and the bigger ones smother the bantams when they huddle together but if it has been 100 degrees out I am not sure what went wrong. Maybe during transit there was a time where it was colder.. You can try candeling the other eggs quickly so that they don't lose heat and/or humidity.

Is there some sort of last minute setup that will allow them to hatch? I have no incubator, not even a brooding pen, set up...

Back
Top Bottom