No clue what they are

TammyLynn09

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2017
Our neighbor's flock has essentially become our flock. No clue what breed they may be. We started with 1 rooster(green tail) and 8 hens, now 7 hens. Also we've recently had another rooster coming into our yard (white tail). We also have an orphaned chick (yellow) and another chick that we know is some type of bantam (brown). IMG_1508539419334.jpg 20171021_170858.jpg 20171020_173341.jpg

Yes the main flock are American gamefowl. The single rooster probably is too, or a game fowl mix. You'll want to be careful, though, because gamefowl roosters are extremely aggressive to other roosters. That is what they've been bred for, and they often fight to the death. So if you keep him you shouldn't plan on getting any other roosters unless they are kept separate and protected in a secure, covered coop and run. Hopefully that single rooster is smart enough to run or fly away when the red rooster is around.

The nice thing about games is their beauty and self-sufficiency. They can forage for a lot of their food and are good at evading predators. The hens are very broody and make good mothers.

Ok, just a quick search of American gamefowl says they're used for cockfighting. While I don't believe that was this flock's intended purpose, it makes sense where I believe they came from.
Yes, they were created for that purpose originally. but they have other good qualities and are nice animals so long as you know what to expect.

Yes the main flock are American gamefowl. The single rooster probably is too, or a game fowl mix. You'll want to be careful, though, because gamefowl roosters are extremely aggressive to other roosters. That is what they've been bred for, and they often fight to the death. So if you keep him you shouldn't plan on getting any other roosters unless they are kept separate and protected in a secure, covered coop and run. Hopefully that single rooster is smart enough to run or fly away when the red rooster is around.

The nice thing about games is there beauty and self-sufficiency. They can forage for a lot of their food and are good at evading predators. The hens are very broody and make good mothers.
Its funny because Roos (as weve started calling him after my favorite hockey player) has been pretty social, coming up to me and my husband, but seemed very stand offish when the new guy showed up yesterday.

The lighter chick kind of looks like a Wheaten Aseel, or at least a mix breed of it. And your lightest hen reminds me of a (possibly cross/poorly bred?) Saipan Jungle Fowl. And the first rooster with the hens sort of reminds me of a Spangled Standard Old English Gamefowl. But I agree with SeaPolka; they all remind me of some sort of Old English Game birds. But the first chick, I just don't know.

Back
Top Bottom