No comb development on 7 month old pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Textemale, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Textemale

Textemale Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I bought four pullets at the beginning of last September. They were all "supposedly" 3 months old. Three out of the four have grown and developed nicely and begun to bless me with eggs, however the fourth, who is also at the bottom of the pecking order, has not even developed a comb yet, let alone lay any eggs. Is this a common thing or will she just continue to be my eggless friend? She is such a sweetie too!

2. BOs and Silkie

BOs and Silkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    NJ
    I have never head of this, usually at 7 months the hens have at least a small comb. I have a 7 month old hen now and her comb is huge and she is laying.

3. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    It's possible that her pituitary gland (do chickens have these?) is on the fritz and not sending out the proper growth/reproductive hormones at the right time.

Just a guess though, I've really no idea. [​IMG]

4. Textemale

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you for the replies. The pullet's comb looks exactly as it did when she was 3 months old. She seems healthy and happy too other than being at the bottom of the pecking order. Truth be told, I'll keep her even if she never lays any eggs because she's so sweet. Since this is my first experience with chickens, I just thought I'd throw the question out there about her lack of a comb to see if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks again!

5. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    What breed is she?

6. Textemale

Aug 11, 2011
    She's a Barred Rock. I have two Delawares and two BR's.

7. Textemale

Aug 11, 2011
    I will try to get a picture of her so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by