No comb development on 7 month old pullet

Textemale

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
I bought four pullets at the beginning of last September. They were all "supposedly" 3 months old. Three out of the four have grown and developed nicely and begun to bless me with eggs, however the fourth, who is also at the bottom of the pecking order, has not even developed a comb yet, let alone lay any eggs. Is this a common thing or will she just continue to be my eggless friend? She is such a sweetie too!

I have never head of this, usually at 7 months the hens have at least a small comb. I have a 7 month old hen now and her comb is huge and she is laying.

It's possible that her pituitary gland (do chickens have these?) is on the fritz and not sending out the proper growth/reproductive hormones at the right time.

Just a guess though, I've really no idea.
hu.gif

Thank you for the replies. The pullet's comb looks exactly as it did when she was 3 months old. She seems healthy and happy too other than being at the bottom of the pecking order. Truth be told, I'll keep her even if she never lays any eggs because she's so sweet. Since this is my first experience with chickens, I just thought I'd throw the question out there about her lack of a comb to see if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks again!

I will try to get a picture of her so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom