We've been adopted by an old stray hen.

KTmomma

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
Can/should we keep her?

Been reading BYC since bringing home our first batch of chicks in April, but first time I've needed to post...

A small red hen appeared out of nowhere and decided to nest in our front planter. We suspect she was part of a large flock of chickens (3 dozen?) that appeared on the edge of our property a few weeks ago. It's a rural area, but they've mostly remained alongside the road, so, sadly, some have been killed by cars and others picked off by local predators (likely hawks or owls).

But this one little hen has stayed at the house the whole time in spite of the big flock's very vocal roosters only being about 1k feet away, and our own 2 roosters (who are loudly competing for top spot) are a mere 200 feet away in a large coop right behind the house.

She is likely a "senior" since she has a full red comb and wattle, but we haven't seen any signs of her laying eggs. Her feathers are also a bit scruffy, so she may have had a tough time before moving onto our front porch.

The large flock is still in the area, and nobody seems to be missing them, including this little, old red hen.

Guessing she feels safe in the planter in spite of a constant stream of people, dogs, cats, and delivery trucks -- she even stayed in the planter while the whole roof was torn off and replaced! I had to pick big pieces of shingles out of her favorite yew bush.

We're equally worried she'll get snatched by a hawk or cause havoc in our newly integrated flock (21-wks: two roos & four hens; 7-wks: six pullets & two Pekin ducks).

Tempted to continue her self-induced "quarantine" in the front planter for a couple more weeks to ensure she's still healthy -- and wants to stick around -- then put her in a grow-out pen near our flock for a while to introduce her to our crew before putting her in their coop.

She's probably too old & small for freezer camp, so also not expecting any eggs (got our 1st eggs from our girls this week!!!)... and so just thinking we'd like to let her live out her natural days in safety and comfort, but not alone.

"She followed me home, Mom, can I keep her?"

Attachments

• 20230913_224705.jpg
    20230913_224705.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 20230831_074841.jpg
    20230831_074841.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 63
Guess it's up to you, if you don't mind having an older bird that may no longer be productive. Not clear if there's a known owner of this free ranging flock, or are they just neighborhood chickens and no one knows who owns them? Depending on how much she ranges from her hiding spot quarantine might be a moot point - any parasites or disease may already be in the environment.

are you sure she needs rescuing? Your intentions are obviously good, but it sounds to me like she has chosen a free life out of a flock, and in confining her with others of your choosing, you might not provide her with a better life than that she has chosen for herself, despite your best intentions.

We're equally worried she'll get snatched by a hawk or cause havoc in our newly integrated flock (21-wks: two roos & four hens; 7-wks: six pullets & two Pekin ducks).
I understand your dilemma. But because both options are not really okay, you might come up with a third solution?
Why not set up/build a small prefab coop with a auto pop door to keep her safe in the night? I suppose she wil be easy to catch her after dark.
If it doesn’t work after all, the smal prefab surely is handy on another occasion.

Guess it's up to you, if you don't mind having an older bird that may no longer be productive. Not clear if there's a known owner of this free ranging flock, or are they just neighborhood chickens and no one knows who owns them? Depending on how much she ranges from her hiding spot quarantine might be a moot point - any parasites or disease may already be in the environment.:D
We have no idea where the flock came from, but they're still in the area and their numbers are dwindling due to predators and cars. And we're not worried about her being nonproductive, just don't want to come out some morning and find she's been eviscerated like some of her (presumably) former flock mates.
We toyed with the idea of trying to capture the rest of the flock but that would entail building ANOTHER run and coop, and we're still recovering from that project.

Last edited:
are you sure she needs rescuing? Your intentions are obviously good, but it sounds to me like she has chosen a free life out of a flock, and in confining her with others of your choosing, you might not provide her with a better life than that she has chosen for herself, despite your best intentions.
All valid concerns I share myself...
Since chickens tend to be social animals, I suspect she'd be happier (eventually?) being a pampered, retired "granny" hen in with the younger ones versus living on the porch by herself. Certainly safer, but I suppose there are plenty of free-range chickens that do just fine out in the bushes. Just weird she's on her own.

I understand your dilemma. But because both options are not really okay, you might come up with a third solution?
Why not set up/build a small prefab coop with a auto pop door to keep her safe in the night? I suppose she wil be easy to catch her after dark.
If it doesn’t work after all, the smal prefab surely is handy on another occasion.
This may be the best alternative... give her the option of a safe and cozy roost, but out free during the day. We had debated letting our own flock free-range, but after seeing the carnage from the stray flock are far less inclined to let them roam.

Can/should we keep her?

Been reading BYC since bringing home our first batch of chicks in April, but first time I've needed to post...

A small red hen appeared out of nowhere and decided to nest in our front planter. We suspect she was part of a large flock of chickens (3 dozen?) that appeared on the edge of our property a few weeks ago. It's a rural area, but they've mostly remained alongside the road, so, sadly, some have been killed by cars and others picked off by local predators (likely hawks or owls).

But this one little hen has stayed at the house the whole time in spite of the big flock's very vocal roosters only being about 1k feet away, and our own 2 roosters (who are loudly competing for top spot) are a mere 200 feet away in a large coop right behind the house.

She is likely a "senior" since she has a full red comb and wattle, but we haven't seen any signs of her laying eggs. Her feathers are also a bit scruffy, so she may have had a tough time before moving onto our front porch.

The large flock is still in the area, and nobody seems to be missing them, including this little, old red hen.

Guessing she feels safe in the planter in spite of a constant stream of people, dogs, cats, and delivery trucks -- she even stayed in the planter while the whole roof was torn off and replaced! I had to pick big pieces of shingles out of her favorite yew bush.

Tempted to continue her self-induced "quarantine" in the front planter for a couple more weeks to ensure she's still healthy -- and wants to stick around -- then put her in a grow-out pen near our flock for a while to introduce her to our crew before putting her in their coop.

She's probably too old & small for freezer camp, so also not expecting any eggs (got our 1st eggs from our girls this week!!!)... and so just thinking we'd like to let her live out her natural days in safety and comfort, but not alone.

"She followed me home, Mom, can I keep her?"
Got a much closer look at her today and she's definitely an older bird. Her feathers are quite scruffy and disheveled.
I don't think she's sick, but possibly hard of hearing? Or maybe she's old enough she's doing the aging-animal thing where they wander off to be alone before passing and we should just let her be...
But after all of the thoughtful feedback you kind folks have provided, I don't think we should add her to our existing flock OR just leave her out there on her own, so I'm going to find or build a small coop just for her and hope she takes to it for safer roosting at night. (If not, we'll have an extra coop for future chicken math.)

Heck. Always weird taking in a stranger when you have a young fresh flock. But can do. I love having my old wise gals around.

She is obviously the smart chicken of that bunch, and she is certainly very pretty. Maybe you can rig something for her temporarily while you both decide? I think I'd grab/rescue her and a pal or 2 off the side of the road. Heck, id grab them all and post an add to get them safely homed. Pretty sucky they are all there just getting picked off. People/person... 😠, very cowardly and disappointing...?
Chooks probably not laying due to change and stress. May be the best chicken ever ♡

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom