No Coop or Nesting Box for my laying hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Polygrad2002, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Polygrad2002

Polygrad2002 New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Hello all. I need some help. I surprised my husband I think in Feb or March with two baby chicks. We finally got around to building them a pen, but never finished building a coop or nesting boxes. Well, we just realized about a month ago, that one of our hens is a rooster. Surprise! Our hen laid her first egg I'm guessing yesterday. We don't always lock them up in the pen at night, they usually roam around the neighborhood and then usually go back to their pen, but lately, they want to sleep up by the house in a pile of wood. Looks like our hen rounded out a little nest for herself in the dirt between a bucket and a pile of firewood, and the rooster stays with her.

Last night we put them in their pen and when I went out this morning I found one squished egg and one rubbery egg (which I thought was normal since it just came out of her, but after researching, I'm guessing it's not normal. They have a roosting bar, the eggs weren't under it, they were by the gate.

So I checked the spot she made for herself by the house and found one small egg and two more squished ones. Is the fact that she doesn't have a coop or nesting box a problem? Do you think she's stressed about not having a spot to lay or a coop to live in? Is it normal for the very first eggs to turn out rubbery? Do I just throw out the egg? We are going to build an incubator for the eggs, but I don't know if the rubbery one is a goner or not.

Also, they have chicken feed in their pen, but they spend most of the day either in the forest or roaming the grass, about 4 or 5 acres. Is she just not getting enough nutrients? I have so many questions, and I feel terrible that we haven't finished their coop. We have so many other projects going on at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

Sonia

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Its normal for the first few eggs to be soft/rubbery. Its maily just the pullet trying to lay the egg before its fully shelled. A nesting box and a daytime/nightime routine would be very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by