No crow collar help

The voice box is right inside the chest just below the neck, so you need to position the collar right there at the base of the neck/top of the shoulders. Put it under the feathers so that they don't make it tighter than it needs to be and so that they help keep it in place.

ETA: Also, if you don't already feed a crumble, I'd suggest switching to one.
I have them on crumble :) thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it!

just digging up this thread to say I decided to try a no crow collar. Good tip on the bird growing, I would not have thought to check it periodically but so far I am very impressed.
I tried it on a big bird before but it didn't really work on him, have now tried one on a bantam and it hasn't stopped him able to crow or damped it much (a little) but so far instead of crowing every hour he's only crowed twice today so big improvement so far.
It's mad how all my cockerels have a distinctive crow, I can identify each one by their crow, one sounds like an old squeaky door (my favourite), one sounds like a small cockadoodledoo but the third one, it sounded like a baby crying! Couldn't take it no more. He has beautiful colors but nobody wants to hear what sounds like a aby crying all day.
I think squeaky door might be next as even though he isn't too loud he is starting to crow too much.
I'm surprised it's worked so well and I know people are not in favor of them, me either but definetely better than him crowing too much or me having to get rid of him entirely.

just digging up this thread to say I decided to try a no crow collar. Good tip on the bird growing, I would not have thought to check it periodically but so far I am very impressed.
I tried it on a big bird before but it didn't really work on him, have now tried one on a bantam and it hasn't stopped him able to crow or damped it much (a little) but so far instead of crowing every hour he's only crowed twice today so big improvement so far.
It's mad how all my cockerels have a distinctive crow, I can identify each one by their crow, one sounds like an old squeaky door (my favourite), one sounds like a small cockadoodledoo but the third one, it sounded like a baby crying! Couldn't take it no more. He has beautiful colors but nobody wants to hear what sounds like a aby crying all day.
I think squeaky door might be next as even though he isn't too loud he is starting to crow too much.
I'm surprised it's worked so well and I know people are not in favor of them, me either but definetely better than him crowing too much or me having to get rid of him entirely.
I'm glad this thread helped you :) no crow collars are supposed to lessen the volume of a crow but not stop it all together. A piece if advice I have is to check your cockerels necks and check the collars every day (a few times a day) to make sure nothing is getting stuck in their throat that they can't swallow. Its happened a few times with my roo, its what they don't tell you with collars 😅 I hope your roos have a lovely life with their collars :)

thx Poppy.
I'm still undecided. The collar worked great for 3 days on the noisy one. Then he decided to have a crowing fit.
I tried it on squeaky door but he hated it and insisted on trying to get it off which just resulted in him getting his beak stuck in the collar.

Sooo I have resorted to a secret trick that I discovered to stop all crowing all together (yeah not the cook pot just yet). There is a very simple trick I have discovered to stop all roosters crowing, it's something I discovered while raising chicks.
Unfortunately he needs to be kept isolated in order for it to work. He's in a little coop by himself and I'm happy to keep him like this but is it fair to keep him alone..? Might use him for breeding but thats about it. Ah keeping chickens really does make you reevaluate your moral values.

Hi everyone still experimenting with the collar but I just wanted to see how well others got on with them and I actually found a great video on the subject. I love everything about this video and has some great runs I would love to copy:

Hello everyone, quick update on the no crow collars. I have tried them on 3 cockerels by now and 3 are without collar because they don't make much noise.

They do work surprisingly well to stop cockerels waking you. But unfortunately my loudest cock will just not accept the collar and he will either successfully get it off or he will get his beak stuck trying - both not very good so for him I'm having to keep him locked away but otherwise I am really impressed. They seem to work better on mature cocks than teenage cocks and I did try it on a 15lb cock (guessing) which did not work as well than on my 1 lb cocks, probably because he had such a thick neck.

I'm new to this site and I think this is the right forum to put this on- anyway, my rooster has a no crow collar (I wish he didn't need it but we like in a urban area, we are planning to move to a house with land soon though) and recently we've been having a problem where it won't stop his crow but it makes him uncomfortable when he does his aerial alarm call (he sort of throws his head back like when they first adjust to the collar)
To anyone with a roo with a rooster collar, have you had this happen with yours? Is it normal, and if not why is it happening?
Normal behavior

I put a no crow collar on one of my roosters and it didnt stop him from crowing. It "dulled" his crow and that was about it. I donated him to the local feed store and he was adopted right away.

We put one on our rooster for a while. He wore it about a year, but re-named the "no-crow collar" to the "lower crow collar". There is NO stopping the crowing with one of these products! :)

We found the key to getting the collar on in a way that it worked (somewhat - see my above post in this thread) was to get it under the long head feathers and as far down the neck as possible.

We'd have to pull the trapped feathers out in a circumference above the collar so that they'd sit naturally over the collar, while the trapped feathers stayed under the collar. The feathers above the collar kept the collar from riding up. He didn't like it, but he tolerated it.

Another key was making sure you could get a finger between the collar and the neck. He wore the collar for more than a year with a break for a few days each month, but we tossed it in the "didn't work, not worth the trouble" box about 4 months ago.

Of course, we explained to our rooster, in great detail I might add, that if he wanted to stay on the homestead, he'd need to control his crow. We are still trying to explain that to him, but we think he's been a little better about it... :)

A funny side-note to this was our Easter-Egger, who was one of his favorite girls, routinely tried to help him get the collar off. She'd peck at it for sometimes 20 minutes or more, and he'd just lay his head back and let her work on it. She never got it off, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Back
Top Bottom