No Crow Collar On My Polish Roo?

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
Hi!
I am moving into a new neighborhood and the neighbors do not want to hear the sound of crowing. At first I was devastated when I thought I had to get rid of Hats (my favorite rooster of all time) (he is in my avatar), but then I heard about this collar. Does it really work? Is it humane? Hats cannot see from his crest in his eyes, so would the collar freak him out? Also, he is aggressive, and I have tried everything, but I have given up and just go with it...How do I get the collar on him?
Thanks for any advice you can give, and before you ask (if you were going to ask), no, I will not get rid of Hats.
Marie

Hi!
I am moving into a new neighborhood and the neighbors do not want to hear the sound of crowing. At first I was devastated when I thought I had to get rid of Hats (my favorite rooster of all time) (he is in my avatar), but then I heard about this collar.
Hi!
I am moving into a new neighborhood and the neighbors do not want to hear the sound of crowing. At first I was devastated when I thought I had to get rid of Hats (my favorite rooster of all time) (he is in my avatar), but then I heard about this collar. Does it really work? Is it humane? Hats cannot see from his crest in his eyes, so would the collar freak him out? Also, he is aggressive, and I have tried everything, but I have given up and just go with it...How do I get the collar on him?
Thanks for any advice you can give, and before you ask (if you were going to ask), no, I will not get rid of Hats.
Marie

Here's my "two cents worth": Some people use them successfully but not that many. They require close supervision and proper fitting. There are at least 2 types for sale, one from US and the other from Australia I think. Some people make their own either with velcro or by cutting the foot off a baby's sock and using the ribbed part slipped over the neck. I bought one of the US type and tried it for a few days on my 14 wk old BO cockerel. At first he protested by putting his head down and backing up trying to get away from it but he didn't go crazy. I took it off after a few days bc it made me nervous. If you want to try it do your research...there are a couple of Threads on the topic. Hope this helps.:D
Sorry, oops...open the quote to see my reply, fwiw:oops:

Last edited:
Its hard to remember, been awhile, but I think I heard more positive comments about the Aussie one because it was maybe more comfortable,...I'd have to double check. I know it seems like just random threads but I believe it would be worth your while to check them out because you get a lot of different perspectives both pro and con. And there are risks you need to know about. In one of those there is info on how to make your own. As an animal lover you want to decide based on the best info you can get.

The Aussie version is called a 'cock collar', and yes you can Google it.
http://www.cockcollars.com.au/
Here's a thread that you could look at the first 5 and last 5 pages to get a better idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/no-crow-rooster-collar.906916/page-25
best wishes!

Its hard to remember, been awhile, but I think I heard more positive comments about the Aussie one because it was maybe more comfortable,...I'd have to double check. I know it seems like just random threads but I believe it would be worth your while to check them out because you get a lot of different perspectives both pro and con. And there are risks you need to know about. In one of those there is info on how to make your own. As an animal lover you want to decide based on the best info you can get.

The Aussie version is called a 'cock collar', and yes you can Google it.
http://www.cockcollars.com.au/
Here's a thread that you could look at the first 5 and last 5 pages to get a better idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/no-crow-rooster-collar.906916/page-25
best wishes!
Thank you!

If you decide to try I guess I would use the Aussie version. (I have a hard time saying 'cock collar' without laughing)
Good Luck to you and Hats:D
Carol

If you decide to try I guess I would use the Aussie version. (I have a hard time saying 'cock collar' without laughing)
Good Luck to you and Hats:D
Carol
I am thinking I will look into the aussie version, and if it seems best for Hats, I will try it. "Cock collar" IS a pretty funny term.....it sounds like "cock holler" which is opposite of what I want for Hats!
Thank you Carol,
Marie

Back
Top Bottom