1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No Crow Collar On My Polish Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickensfan, May 22, 2017.

1. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    Hi!
    I am moving into a new neighborhood and the neighbors do not want to hear the sound of crowing. At first I was devastated when I thought I had to get rid of Hats (my favorite rooster of all time) (he is in my avatar), but then I heard about this collar. Does it really work? Is it humane? Hats cannot see from his crest in his eyes, so would the collar freak him out? Also, he is aggressive, and I have tried everything, but I have given up and just go with it...How do I get the collar on him?
    Thanks for any advice you can give, and before you ask (if you were going to ask), no, I will not get rid of Hats.
    Marie

biophiliac likes this.
  2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Sorry, oops...open the quote to see my reply, fwiw:oops:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    Thank you! Do you know which version is better? The australian one or the US one? I tried to find threads on this but I couldn't find any! (i looked it up in here, but it just showed random threads.)
    Thanks,
    Marie

4. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Its hard to remember, been awhile, but I think I heard more positive comments about the Aussie one because it was maybe more comfortable,...I'd have to double check. I know it seems like just random threads but I believe it would be worth your while to check them out because you get a lot of different perspectives both pro and con. And there are risks you need to know about. In one of those there is info on how to make your own. As an animal lover you want to decide based on the best info you can get.

The Aussie version is called a 'cock collar', and yes you can Google it.
    http://www.cockcollars.com.au/
    Here's a thread that you could look at the first 5 and last 5 pages to get a better idea.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/no-crow-rooster-collar.906916/page-25
    best wishes!

5. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    Thank you!

6. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    If you decide to try I guess I would use the Aussie version. (I have a hard time saying 'cock collar' without laughing)
    Good Luck to you and Hats:D
    Carol

7. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    I am thinking I will look into the aussie version, and if it seems best for Hats, I will try it. "Cock collar" IS a pretty funny term.....it sounds like "cock holler" which is opposite of what I want for Hats!
    Thank you Carol,
    Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by