no egg since molt in January

Dray67

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Aberdeen, MD
I have a red sex link(avatar) that was hatched in April 2010 and is now one year old. She began laying beautiful dark brown eggs in August. She went in to a heavy molt in January and has not laid an egg since. She is fully re feathered and is nice and plump on spring grass but still has not laid an egg. No sign of lice or mites. the other 5 hens i have lay almost every day, with very large hard shelled eggs. Any one have any tricks?
Dave

Last edited:
It's taken mine many months before to start laying again after a molt. This year they all molted around late Sep., stopped laying, and I literally didn't get a single egg (out of six hens) until the beginning of March. I've never been able to figure out how to make them lay again; giving them chickweed and other treats doesn't seem to make a difference. Sorry I can't help, but at least you know it's not unusual.

Ditto on what Lesa said though--sometimes their eggs can change color on you (or shades of the same color, anyway.)

I bought six hens a week ago, and have only gotten three eggs so far. The guy at the feed store said don't buy hens because you never know how old they really are. How do you tell how old a hen is?

Quote:
i have hens of 6 different breeds and they lay 6 very different colored eggs. The sex link layed a very dark rust brown. the Buff lays a long pointy glossy tan egg, the Barred rock lays a fat round sandy egg. the Ameraucana lays a blue egg and my EE lays a cream Egg. the Leg horn a true white.
Dave

I have a Maran hen that hatched chicks in January, and I'm still waiting for her to get back into the egg laying routine.

hi, you could put a video camera in there to see if she is laying any of those eggs!??!
wink.png

maybe its like the other lady said, the colour egg could have changed.. or shes laying infrequently but still mixing one in w the regulars...
Sometimes, I can tell how old a hen is by the comb size,etc. but its just a ball park reference.. still learning!
good luck have fun!

Quote:
Could she had found her own spot to lay the eggs in? WAIT, do you have any males with or near her? When a group of hens don't have a rooster with them one will not lay.

Quote:
Could she had found her own spot to lay the eggs in? WAIT, do you have any males with or near her? When a group of hens don't have a rooster with them one will not lay.

No i do not have a rooster- never knew that could happen.

Back
Top Bottom