No egg song?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sunshine23, Jan 27, 2011.

1. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    My GLW has been laying for a week now but she doesn't make any sounds at all before or after she lays, my Silver Cuckoo Maran is laying too and she's very loud sometimes but I've only heard the egg son from her only once.
    Now my Speckled Sussex is not laying yet and she sings the egg song sometimes [​IMG]

I got some crazy chickens don't I [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    The egg song is sometimes an alarm call. I've noticed, though, that the egg song has a lot of time pass in between each "BUCKAWK", wheras an alarm call is faster and more desperate.

Oh, and my GSL pullets didn't call the egg song until about 3 weeks after they started laying

3. j egger

j egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Georgetown, TX
    If your chickens aren't cackling after they lay that isn't bad, it just means you have pretty dumb chickens.[​IMG]

the reason chickens cackle is to draw attention of any predetor away from the eggs. [​IMG]

so it just means that you have a chicken that doesn't care for her eggs.

4. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    OMG! My GLW's are the two most vocal and loudest in the flock! I always know who's in the box before I get out to the coop if there's a really loud commotion going on out there! [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is often more a call of being startled. Some chickens ba cawk when laying an egg, but none of mine do now. Not a peep. They aren't startled by it, they are matter-of-fact about it, and just say to the rest, "Next?" upon leaving the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by