No eggs after 5 months of laying

DaisyG2317

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
🌷🌷🌷
If this has already been addressed ad nauseam somewhere I apologize.

I have 4 Isa Brown hens who are roughly 9 months old. They all have been laying for around 4/5 months. Each one has laid a strong, large egg a day consistently, until a few days ago. We had 3 eggs in the nest box. The following day, there were 4 eggs, however, one was absolutely massive and extremely thin shelled. The following day, there was an egg on the floor of the coop. The next day, an extremely rough, sandpaper textured egg back in the box. Now no egg for 2 days again.

I have suspicion as to which hen this might be; i have, however, checked them all and they seem to be fine. No mites, bright red combs, eating normally. I do have one girl who seems to really look a little ragged, particularly around the bottom of her breast. I can't imagine she is molting? I dunno.

Any info is appreciated.

It's normal for them to take little breaks now and then. If it continues, the first thing to look at is what they are eating. The feed should be at minimum 16% protein, and treats should be minimal. Also, does the feed contain calcium? If not, you should be supplementing with a free choice feeder with oyster shells.

Another thing to look at is changes-- in environment or outside stresses. Anything like that can put them off laying for a bit.

It's normal for them to take little breaks now and then. If it continues, the first thing to look at is what they are eating. The feed should be at minimum 16% protein, and treats should be minimal. Also, does the feed contain calcium? If not, you should be supplementing with a free choice feeder with oyster shells.

Another thing to look at is changes-- in environment or outside stresses. Anything like that can put them off laying for a bit.
They eat Nutrena Hearty Hen, which is 18% protein. They have oyster shell available as well. Husband went out today and there were 4 eggs in there, lol 🤷‍♀️

I have a hen (little over a year old) that hasn't laid for two-three months now?? She "was" laying double yolks several times a month! I thought it was due to adding two new younger hens (now 8 months old) which was a gradual process. Now one of the two new ones was dead one morning....another sad mystery. (My favorite, sweet Barred Rock Hen, more time). So help me!!
WHY isn't Gertie laying anymore eggs? All 4 had been eating the same high quality egg layer feed 16%. Look great except Gertie does have a poopy behind the others do not ever. Maybe a hormonal thing? She also will sit on the other two hens eggs, gets broody. I can NOT figure it out. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled, pine chips, clean coop and nesting area! Oyster shells and egg shells, meal worms for treats...Have 2 hens are over a year old (Gold/red) and 2 young 8 month ones; (a Barred Rock hen dead and the one white one.) Always safe, locked in at night! WHY NO MORE EGGS from Gertie???

I have a hen (little over a year old) that hasn't laid for two-three months now?? She "was" laying double yolks several times a month! I thought it was due to adding two new younger hens (now 8 months old) which was a gradual process. Now one of the two new ones was dead one morning....another sad mystery. (My favorite, sweet Barred Rock Hen, more time). So help me!!
WHY isn't Gertie laying anymore eggs? All 4 had been eating the same high quality egg layer feed 16%. Look great except Gertie does have a poopy behind the others do not ever. Maybe a hormonal thing? She also will sit on the other two hens eggs, gets broody. I can NOT figure it out. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled, pine chips, clean coop and nesting area! Oyster shells and egg shells, meal worms for treats...Have 2 hens are over a year old (Gold/red) and 2 young 8 month ones; (a Barred Rock hen dead and the one white one.) Always safe, locked in at night! WHY NO MORE EGGS from Gertie???
Has anyone replied to you??

Has anyone replied to you??
nope....I went to Tractor Supply and spoke to a worker who has chickens. She said to get oak leaves, make a tea and mix I cup with 1 cup of water. A natural dewormer...and also, for pastry butt to give them white bread soaked in buttermilk. So I tried it. Maybe it's hormones...she did lay an over abundance of huge double yolk eggs right when she began laying last summer.

Has it been hot where y'all are? Chickens sometimes slow down in the summer with extreme temperatures and need extra help like electrolytes in their water to help with their calcium and other vitamin intake. With it being so warm, they're probably just taking a break or might need some help with their intake due to the heat.

@KathyD Texas If Gertie goes broody often, it might be hormonal with her. She might not be a strong layer if she's persistently broody due to hormones telling them not to lay for 5 weeks or so while they're tending their young. Breaking her of her broody behavior might help with getting her to lay again. Put her in a wire dog kennel with her belly unable to touch anything solid. She should be broken from being broody for a while if you do so.

Back
Top Bottom