No eggs and my chickens are 20 weeks.

MJJ

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
I will have had my chickens 20 weeks on Monday the 24th of August. They were over a week old when I got them. Do some breeds take longer to start laying? No eggs yet. I have 5 hens and a rooster. 3 Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons. They kick all the chopped straw out of the nest boxes into the coop. My rooster has been "courting" them for weeks now. I check the whole chicken yard, the coop and the boxes 2x daily. They are empty save the 2 fake brown eggs I put in there. I am in N Florida and it has been rather hot daily and down into the 70s at night. There is plenty of ventilation and the yard is under trees and has a roof. They are out by our little lake which often has a nice breeze blowing. Am I just being impatient? Lol

Orpingtons are slow to develop. Not sure about the RIR. :) If their combs are getting more red, then that is a sign they should be laying soon. Hang on, it will happen!
Thanks so much! The Orpingtons grew faster than the Reds but yes their combs are much redder the last couple of weeks. I am just impatient. My sister in Michigan got her chicks a few days after I did and she had her first egg a week or so ago. Her chickens are barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom