No eggs and one looks lazy

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
In the last two weeks my 4 haven't produced eggs. I attributed this to the heat. But now one of them looks lethargic and isn't as verocious with snacks. What's going on? They have good food, grit, calcium in the run with fresh water. Shavings with DE in the coop. I have some old safe guard dewormer from 2015

As Casportpony said, aureomycin is an antibiotic that had been used in the past in feed to help prevent intestinal diseases such as enteritis, and is the same drug used in some respiratory diseases. But it does not act as a wormer. It is no longer available in feed stores or without a prescription since the end of 2016.

I went and grabbed the bag.
ÀUREOMYCIN...
TRACTOR SUPPY COMPANY SOLD IT TO US.
Chlortetracycline type C
Medicated feed.
Mix it with your egg maker crumble.
We use it as a seven to 10 day course.
I have seen threads on this site all about it.
The FDA says their is zero withdrawal for eggs but we wait 5 days.
We have used it for 10 years in the spring once and late summer once. Perfectly safe. For treatment and prevention.
WE RECOMMENDED THIS PRODUCT.
GO TO TSC.COM AND HAVE IT SHIPPED TO YOU.
THANKS.....
It's an antibiotic, not a wormer, and it's no longer available without a prescription in the US. Did someone tell you it's a wormer?

You might want to check her crop to see if it is empty, partly full, hard, or puffy. Try to get her to drink some fluids, eat a little chopped egg, and some watery feed in a bowl. If the feed was not coming out of the feeder, it's possible that she is weak from that or the heat. But many other problems can occur. When I have a bird acting that way, besides checking the crop, I pick them up to feel for any weight loss in the breast bone area, look at the vent for signs of diarrhea, lice, or mites, and try to get them eating and drinking. Electrolytes and vitamins for chickens added to the water may help. With birds 2 and older, they can sometimes suffer from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. This, or a digestive problem, or intestinal infection such as coccidiosis can make them weak.

My bad.. Multi tasking on a hatch day. I don't know why I thought I read that. Apologies. Crazy here the last few days. Sow delivered, chicks hatching a day early and getting my honey Do's finished. I have been peeking at this site on and off taking breaks from the heat. I hope you figure out your problem.

If

my husband just told me we add it to "safe guard". He has always treats the livestock. We have had only a couple die years ago from worms. He says treat them according to the amount of birds you have. If possible, separate them if you only have a few so they get the whole dose. He also said keep plenty of fresh water close to them during treatment. It will dehydrate them. Especially during hot weather. He's out castrating boars right now and didn't give more than that.
Safeguard is a wormer, it's fenbendazole. :)

Any idea if I can cook those eggs and give it to them? I hate wasting eggs.
One of you mentioned coccidosis. That's mainly for young chickens right? And I would see bloody poop. The only weird poop I've seen is the frothy orange one

If you are deworming with fenbendazole the "suggested" egg withdrawal time is 14days after the last dosage. So...that's at least 24days throw away time and no, eggs should not be fed to anything. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Coccidiosis can be seen in chickens at any age, though it's more prevalent in young chicks. Any chicken can succumb to an overload, especially if they have something else going on (weakened immunity). I believe there are 9strain of Cocci and only 1-2 strains show up as bloody poop.

I'm glad you are trying to find a vet to take a look at the poop. Hopefully that will give you some answers.

As for the bleach:oops: I just could not for the life of me see where it was mentioned:D
Some people do add bleach to the drinking water to sanitize, so I really have no opinion on that.

Keep us posted.

is it ok to add to water that has other stuff like ACV and electrolytes? Also, they won't finish all that water in that time. I put 5 gallons of water out in the nipple bucket and they're drinking for it for like a month, even more sometimes
I don't like adding more than one medication to their water, so I would use just the Corid. Corid must be made fresh daily, and it needs to be their only source of water, so I suggest that you make only as much as they will drink in 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom