No eggs....Are my hens too old?

My EEs stopped laying about a month ago. They were fine all winter and we have had an extremely early warm spell. When everyone else picked up with the great weather, they stopped. What do you think? They will be two in April.

It's normal for layers to take a break after laying for a spell. Their bodies need a rest occasionally. But do examine them to be sure they don't have parasites, that their poop is normal signifying no illness is present, and go over the coop to be sure no rodents have moved in or other predators are frightening the hens or making off with the eggs.

All hens, at least the Spring hatched variety tend to have a hard or complete molt late every Summer beginning at about 18 months old. If they are free ranged or fed too many "treats" it pushes these hens into a harder and even longer molt. Then as hens age the molt is pushed further and further back.

Last edited:
They
All hens, at least the Spring hatched variety tend to have a hard or complete molt late every Summer beginning at about 18 months old.  If they are free ranged or fed too many "treats" it pushes these hens into a harder and even longer molt.  Then as hens age the molt is pushed further and further back.
both had a successful molt in November. So I'm not sure. I have been limited on treats just because I want them to eat good feed for the night time to keep tem healthy. So we will see.

Do you happen to have an egg eater? I had a black star last fall who was eating 8 eggs a day. She hung out in the hen house and waited for the eggs to be laid. I caught her a bunch of times before culling her. After she was culled, my egg count went up by 8 eggs. One clue was that in the morning she had yolk on her beak. She was eating the shells so it was hard to catch her, the wet would sink down to the bottom of the nesting boxes so it took me awhile to figure it out. Thankfully, she did not teach the other hens the bad lesson!!!!
woot.gif

She had access to oyster shell, and ate really well. However; Before culling her, I gave her extra protein to see if that was why she was eating the eggs, but it didn't help. She was eating eggs because she liked to eat eggs.....yum yum...yum!
droolin.gif

When we plucked her, we could not believe the layer of fat on her! She was really tasty from eating those eggs!
lau.gif
Best soup ever!!!!

I did suspect an egg eater a while ago, but with the light brown,cream colored egg I get. But it stopped. But I will start checking throughout the day to see if I notice anything.

I did suspect an egg eater a while ago, but with the light brown,cream colored egg I get. But it stopped. But I will start checking throughout the day to see if I notice anything.
HHHMM...you ruled out an egg eater.....I wonder what it could be then? Maybe one of the other suggestions???? Or age like you suspect.....

Ok I did a good inspection of the girls today. I discovered a couple of things. My barred rocks I believe are STILL molting or something. I found no signs of damage or parasites. Just dry skin. And new feathers growing. Huh? And the EE are plump and healthy. Eyes are good. Sound good. No signs of parasites. But made no attempt to even go to nesting boxes. So I cleaned the coop, put curtains back on their nesting boxes and hope they will start again. My new girls, I'm so proud of. So inquisitive about the new surroundings and I got 5 out of 9 eggs today. Although one broke falling out of my hand while I was trying to take a picture of the first three early this morning. :( all in all a good day outside with the critters. Goats of course were super helpful. Haha

Ok I did a good inspection of the girls today. I discovered a couple of things. My barred rocks I believe are STILL molting or something. I found no signs of damage or parasites. Just dry skin. And new feathers growing. Huh? And the EE are plump and healthy. Eyes are good. Sound good. No signs of parasites. But made no attempt to even go to nesting boxes. So I cleaned the coop, put curtains back on their nesting boxes and hope they will start again. My new girls, I'm so proud of. So inquisitive about the new surroundings and I got 5 out of 9 eggs today. Although one broke falling out of my hand while I was trying to take a picture of the first three early this morning.
sad.png
all in all a good day outside with the critters. Goats of course were super helpful. Haha
AAWWW....sorry your girls are not laying still. At least the barred Rocks molting is a good sign, you have a reason for those hens not laying.

Did you get the 5 eggs from the girls you got from me? If so, that means they are very happy with their new home, Most re-homed pullets/hens stop laying for a week or two. You got them the day before yesterday and most laid eggs today? If so...wow....they like their new home!!!

Did your goats clean up the dropped egg??
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom