No eggs, ARG!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy Cluckers, May 5, 2011.

1. Crazy Cluckers

Crazy Cluckers New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    This is my story.

Last fall and during half of the winter I was averaging 4 eggs every 3 days. Then I was lucky enough to loose a couple of chickens not sure how, we only found one carcass. I had to put a hen down due to Meric's (sp) disease, it was the hardest thing for me to do. My last three hens are fine health wise (I think), we went out a bought two more chickens. The seller was sure the two that we picked were hens; so off we went happy as can be. My wife elated that she has some more feather footed fends for our little flock, several weeks later our little hens started to crow.

So now we have 3 rosters, 3 hens and NO eggs. So my question is what could be the problem. I am thinking that there is to much turmoil with so few hens with the amount of roosters. We do have 14 hens coming in late June.

Help

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    The hens could be stressed from all of the changes that have happened lately. And it could be too many roosters as well.

3. Crazy Cluckers

Crazy Cluckers New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    It has been at least five months since the last egg was layed. Not much has happened since I put the last hen down due to Merck's.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting any eggs, but you are right! Three roosters and three hens is not a good combination. A good rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster for every 9 hens......So if you've got 1 rooster for each hen, then your hens are probably pretty unhappy, and they will probably be over-mated. You will see signs like feathers missing on their backs and necks.......The poor gals probably are very unhappy.

I would really only keep one rooster, and I would pick the most calm, gentle rooster.

Chickens really don't like change very much, and once they get upset, hens can stop laying until they get used to new conditions or surroundings. The hens will probably stop laying a bit longer, once you get your 14 new pullets......

Good luck to you, and I'm betting that once things settle down, and your hens get to feel things are comfortable for them, they'll begin laying again.

5. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:I have also had experiance here. I found that the best thing to do is follow the best chicken adivce I have ever been given:
    My Vet said *about hens not laying* "Always remember, the only hen that will lay an egg is a happy one. If a hen feels safe, secure and cared for (and is healthy) she will lay. If she stops, she is telling you that something is wrong."

I am going to offer an opinion of what I think happened when I added a new rooster to the flock and also go as far to say it is the same thing happening to you. When my hens for any reason, felt threatened then decided the remaining nests and coops in there orignal spot were in an unsafe spot to raise young, so they stopped laying.

There is simple way to correct this problem that worked for me:
    USE ONLY ONE ROOSTER AND SEPERATE THE OTHERS FIRST!
    I am in a very country type area so allowing my girls to roam free is not really a problem. If your girls are roaming free lock them up because they will find a new place to lay. I moved ALL the remaining hens to another coop and let them adjust slowly. I did this to show them a new/safe environment. Hens will not lay eggs in a place they see as a potential hazard to there young. They are not just egg making machines, they are mothers, as you well know. After about four weeks in the new coop all the hens were laying somewhat regularly. It is very important not to seperate the remaining hens because this can re-enforce the idea of a "threat". The last thing you want is a flock of egg-layers that view you as a threat for removing one or more hens from a flock. Keep the hens together as long as you can. They will find security in the company of eachother.

After the egg-production comes back, you can let the hens free to roam during the day. Leave the coop door open so they can come and go as they please (this is when I would introduce the one rooster to them). IF the hens lay inside the coop they find it suitable and will continue to lay for you.

The best thing to do for them is be patient.The whole moving to a new coop with new nests thing is a big upset to them. Contary to what alot of chicken owners think, they weren't made for coop living. During this re-adjustment period feed the hens a ration of Layer's Pellets (between 16 and 18 % protien works best) And keep Oyster Shells avaliable until they are all laying agian. A big reason some hens eat their eggs is because they feel threatened. SO a few wooden or ceramic eggs in the nest boxes would proably be a good idea. Also, remember the only hen that will lay is a happy one....give them treats every day even if it is potatoe peelings or table scraps, This will help fill some of the nutritional gaps left by Layers Pellets.

I can not say 100 % that this will work for you and your chickens. My hens were two year old Red Sex-Link and Black Jersey Giants. All hens are different and some take longer to adjust. Be patient and allow the slower one time to adjust before letting them forage during the day. The main thing to do right now is lock them up in a new coop together without a rooster and wait for mother nature to take over. All of them will lay agian because anyone who asks for help cares about the subject at hand. I have faith that your obvious love for them will over-come this.

Best Of Luck My Friend!

Timothy in KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by