No eggs at 28.5 weeks...

Ok! I will try adding more protein to their diet. I don’t want to buy commercial feed for it, but my son and I like to hunt. I have fed them kills such as squirrel and snakes. If I start giving them meat at the end of the day would that be enough? I will try this. there are SOOOOO many worms in my yard, I thought that would be enough.

The pros of commercial feed is that it's a specific ration that you can monitor. Of course you don't have go the name brand route. Plenty of mills and farm stores grind and mix their own, even with the protein ration coming from meat instead of soy. I don't give my flock meat directly, even that I've dressed myself as I don't want the extra fat in their diet. It will definitely be a trial and error to see what works and gives you an acceptable production level and feathering.

Why does it have to be feed? I hunt regularly could I just give them cooked meat?

Specially formulated Layers feed contains not just the correct amount of protein, but all of the other minerals and nutrients required to produce eggs.

In order to supply you with the eggs you want, chickens need calcium, protein, choline, folic acid, phosphorus, riboflavin, and Vitamins A and D. There are also a host of other minerals they need in order to maintain optimum health - strong bones, good feather growth, maintaining appetite, immunity against disease etc.

Even hens who have access to free ranging areas need a commercial layers ration in order to produce good quantities of eggs. My girls free-range from 11am to dusk but still have multiple points in their yard where they can access layers pellets. They all give 6 eggs a week - when they're not going broody on me, that is! It is recommended that chickens should have access to pellets 24/7 so that they can get all the nutrients they need.

I know it's the more expensive way to go, but with chickens it really is a matter of "you get out what you put in." People spend many hours getting the balance of nutrients right in commercial feed mixes so you don't have to. And whist it is perfectly fine to just give them ranging areas, meat and vegie scraps, it won't result in the good quality and constant supply of eggs from your girls that you are after.

They simply need more quality feed to do that.

My best wishes to you.

Krista

Last edited:
Lighting? Does lighting matter with production breeds? Does it make them lay less because it is fall and will they lay at all?

Yes, lighting matters in almost all birds reproductive (egg laying) cycle... Chickens need about 14 hours of light to produce each egg, so as fall and winter approaches some breeds will nearly stop laying others will slow down... As the days shorten many will also go into a molt that will usually stop egg production, many first year chickens don't molt but some will...

The chickens also need to feel comfortable in their surroundings, if they are stressed or don't have a place they feel safe in laying eggs chances are they will not lay...

Why does it have to be feed? I hunt regularly could I just give them cooked meat?

They don't need layer feed, it's just an easy way to make sure they are getting a sufficient protein and vitamin level ration...

Also not all proteins are the same there are differences between animal and vegetable proteins, one of the biggest is that most animal protein comes with a lot of fat as well... There has to be some balance in the chickens diet, if you start feeding 'meat' regularly they might start holding out and meat will in essence become an unhealthy snack to them while they ignore the more balanced diet...

I don't know about your feed supplier but the difference between a decent balanced low protein feed and a 16%+ feed, be it layer or something like All Flock is insignificant, I don't see any valid reason to not just get the higher protein feed so you know they are getting the proper level of protein along with everything else... And offer a side of oyster shells for good measure...

Last edited:
Specially formulated Layers feed contains not just the correct amount of protein, but all of the other minerals and nutrients required to produce eggs.

In order to supply you with the eggs you want, chickens need calcium, protein, choline, folic acid, phosphorus, riboflavin, and Vitamins A and D. There are also a host of other minerals they need in order to maintain optimum health - strong bones, good feather growth, maintaining appetite, immunity against disease etc.

Even hens who have access to free ranging areas need a commercial layers ration in order to produce good quantities of eggs. My girls free-range from 11am to dusk but still have multiple points in their yard where they can access layers pellets. They all give 6 eggs a week - when they're not going broody on me, that is! It is recommended that chickens should have access to pellets 24/7 so that they can get all the nutrients they need.

I know it's the more expensive way to go, but with chickens it really is a matter of "you get out what you put in." People spend many hours getting the balance of nutrients right in commercial feed mixes so you don't have to. And whist it is perfectly fine to just give them ranging areas, meat and vegie scraps, it won't result in the good quality and constant supply of eggs from your girls that you are after.

They simply need more quality feed to do that.

My best wishes to you.

Krista
Thanks! I don’t mind only getting 3 eggs a week, but I DO mind no eggs at all. What do you think about the older ones who are not laying at all? The eggs I do get seem super rich, healthy, hard shells, and SO flavorful. But I only get 6-10 a week with two hens. I DID see one girl whos comb is popping out more investigating the nests today. Do you think they may be slow maturing. The others combs STILL seem underdeveloped.

Yes, lighting matters in almost all birds reproductive (egg laying) cycle... Chickens need about 14 hours of light to produce each egg, so as fall and winter approaches some breeds will nearly stop laying others will slow down... As the days shorten many will also go into a molt that will usually stop egg production, many first year chickens don't molt but some will...

The chickens also need to feel comfortable in their surroundings, if they are stressed or don't have a place they feel safe in laying eggs chances are they will not lay...
They don't need layer feed, it's just an easy way to make sure they are getting a sufficient protein and vitamin level ration...

Also not all proteins are the same there are differences between animal and vegetable proteins, one of the biggest is that most animal protein comes with a lot of fat as well... There has to be some balance in the chickens diet, if you start feeding 'meat' regularly they might start holding out and meat will in essence become an unhealthy snack to them while they ignore the more balanced diet...

I don't know about your feed supplier but the difference between a decent balanced low protein feed and a 16%+ feed, be it layer or something like All Flock is insignificant, I don't see any valid reason to not just get the higher protein feed so you know they are getting the proper level of protein along with everything else... And offer a side of oyster shells for good measure...
THANK YOU. You gave the best answer! I am growing some kale, and they have a fall garden now. I put in broccoli, turnip greens, beet greens, kale, and marigolds. They LOVE it. I am adding some lettuce. I hear that kale is good for protein, I need to look into what else I can add :) May I can give them meat twice a week. They LOVE frog legs, squirrel, and rabbit. Thank you so much for the help! I am poor, so I can’t afford feed. I do hunt and grow a lot of our own food.My kids and I actually eat very well this way, more food than if I shop and buy. Our plates are much fuller and healthier. I also shoot any predators and clean and cook them. They girls LOVE snakes grilled in banana plant leaves :)

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Although the breed should be laying by now, you have a lot of mitigating factors (and some birds really do take longer to start laying - especially if there are other factors). It's hot, right? That can affect laying and could affect starting to lay. The snake you and the songbirds aren't seeing could be stealing the eggs (not likely but possible). And if you're only feeding meat and forage, the birds may be on a slower track to lay.

Chickens, from what I've read, rely on 3 major things in their diets (going back to wild chicken ancestors) - seed, forbs/grass, and bugs/protein. In the wild they obviously don't get all three in large proportions all year long, but in the wild, birds don't lay eggs all year long, either.

If you're worried, I'd see if they'll take a commercial lay mash. In many feed stores you can buy it by the pound - you don't have to buy a 25 lb or 50 lb sack. You can buy 3 pounds and see - do they pick at it - do they ignore it - or do they go crazy over it and demolish it.

If they gobble it up fast, that will tell you something. You don't have to buy commercial feeds, but if the grain/seed aspect is missing from their diet, you can buy the raw ingredients (cheap if you got a farmer's coop nearby) and grind it yourself - in a regular old glass blender (plastic blenders will get chipped) - I'm talking a $24 blender from Target or Walmart.

Yeah, chickens used to get by on mainly foraging alone, but they also didn't lay five eggs per bird per week back then. Back then, they maybe laid 2 eggs a week and only part of the year.

Einstein's definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Try some commercial feed - don't feel bad. You're raising your birds pioneer style - but hoping they'll lay based on modern poultry science. You may need to compromise. And ... it could be something we're all missing.

Once they do start laying, you should be getting tasty eggs with rich, orange yolks - because they're foraging. Bugs contribute to egg quality, but I think it's more the greens that do it. Factory eggs from chickens that aren't fed any greens produce weak, non-thick yolks that are pale yellow. You'll figure this out, and the birds may only need a little more time. But do try commercial feed - and let them tell you if they need it or not (by their reaction to it). The breed you're talking about may have, to a certain extent, been bred to require that kind of feed - you never know. Good luck!

(edit - you're in Mobile, right? They should be getting plenty of light to lay, although it just became fall - if you're getting less than 14 hours of light, it could be an issue - but iirc that will happen more in a month or two. Also, a lot of modern laying breeds have been bred to lay through the winter in low light - not sure about yours. You have them outdoors, at least. But the comment above about a safe place to lay or a good nesting box, that's very important. You have some already laying, so maybe you got that taken care of. Ours lay in a plastic kitty litter box turned on its side, so they can get in and out. They feel safe in there and lay well. Again, good luck)

Last edited:
Thanks! I don’t mind only getting 3 eggs a week, but I DO mind no eggs at all. What do you think about the older ones who are not laying at all? The eggs I do get seem super rich, healthy, hard shells, and SO flavorful. But I only get 6-10 a week with two hens. I DID see one girl whos comb is popping out more investigating the nests today. Do you think they may be slow maturing. The others combs STILL seem underdeveloped.

Some breeds are just slower to mature than others. I have heard of some Orpingtons not laying until 32 weeks, so you are not alone in the wait!

Chickens usually only lay one egg per day anyway, and will normally take one day off a week to reset. So, I would think the maximum you can expect from your two layers is 6 eggs per week each. If you're getting 6 - 10 eggs now, you're on the right track!

Also, if your two current layers are still young, they might take a while to build up to laying every day. Some of my new layers only laid two or three eggs per week when they were just starting off, but they lay 6 a week each now that they are 11 months old. It Just takes a while to get the 'egg-factory' to start cranking them out with regularity!

I understand not wanting to shell out money for layer's pellets, and if things are tight financially then obviously feeding your kids and yourself comes first and foremost. I wonder if you might have any friends or neighbours that own a farm close by? My hubby works for a dairy farm and they let us take a few bags of grain when we need it. If you could get a little of that it might be good for your chickens to have a nibble on and keep them feeling full.

Don't worry too much though, at the end of the day 28 weeks is still young for a layer, and there is plenty of time for them to develop into good egg producing hens for you. I am sure they will be fine
big_smile.png

Krista

Some breeds are just slower to mature than others.   I have heard of some Orpingtons not laying until 32 weeks, so you are not alone in the wait!  

Chickens usually only lay one egg per day anyway, and will normally take one day off a week to reset.  So, I would think the maximum you can expect from your two layers is 6 eggs per week each.  If you're getting 6 - 10 eggs now, you're on the right track!

Also, if your two current layers are still young, they might take a while to build up to laying every day.  Some of my new layers only laid two or three eggs per week when they were just starting off, but they lay 6 a week each now that they are 11 months old.   It Just takes a while to get the 'egg-factory' to start cranking them out with regularity!

I understand not wanting to shell out money for layer's pellets, and if things are tight financially then obviously feeding your kids and yourself comes first and foremost.   I wonder if you might have any friends or neighbours that own a farm close by?  My hubby works for a dairy farm and they let us take a few bags of grain when we need it.   If you could get a little of that it might be good for your chickens to have a nibble on and keep them feeling full. 

Don't worry too much though, at the end of the day 28 weeks is still young for a layer, and there is plenty of time for them to develop into good egg producing hens for you.  I am sure they will be fine  :D  

Krista

Ok great! Very helpful! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom