no eggs for three months or so.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Dec 31, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    none of my girls have laid since the weather turned. They were attacked and had a molt but it has been a good solid month or more since anything has happened. it is freezing here and the days are quite short but i thought i saw the remnants of an egg one day and it looks like maybe egg eaters. if they are all doing this is it a lost cause or can it be 'cured' come good weather?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you tried increasing their protein intake? A molt requires much protein, so maybe they are eating their eggs to supplement their diet. If that has no effect then Opa has some beautiful roll-away nest boxes that he has designed. Check out this post with pics at #9. These are the way to go if you have an egg-eating problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=67904&p=1

If these don't do the trick then the only way I know of to stop egg eating is by culling the offenders. Harsh, but necessary sometimes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that it is the cold weather

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's about how long I've been waiting for most of mine. Several molted, but no other problems. I've been giving lots of BOSS (just got them to accept it about a month ago.)

5. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

My Leghorn started molting about 3 1/2 months ago and we have not had an egg from her since. She can't use the cold as an excuse because we live in Southern California. The days are shorter, but I have a light that comes on a couple of hours before the sun comes up. I think she is just a slacker. [​IMG] The EE is starting her molt and no eggs for a week or two from her. My lovely brown egg layers are still laying. Thank you Amy and Annie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by