No eggs from my chicken in 9 days, should I be concerned?

Aleta

Chirping
Mar 20, 2020
Hi, I am fairly new to raising chickens. I try to keep track of who is laying everyday. I’m pretty sure one of my hens hasn’t laid an egg in about 9 days. I looked up information on being egg bound and that doesn’t seem to be the case with her. We got her Easter weekend so she is around 9 months old And has been laying eggs fairly regularly for 2 months. All of her siblings are Laying normally. We are in Texas so sun sets around 5:30 pm and rises by 7:00 am. Should I be concerned that she is not laying? Thanks.

I only have a couple pullets still laying. Everyone else has stopped for the season.
Do you provide extra white light for them to keep laying with the less sunlight or do you let them take a seasonal break from laying?

Sometimes when I get home after sunset I’ll put a bright light on in their run so they can have their evening snack. I leave it on for about an hour, but it’s not every night. I don’t have an electric outlet near their coop so I can’t really leave a light on for very long. The one I have is battery operated. Hopefully her not laying is just related to the shorter days. Thanks.

Sometimes when I get home after sunset I’ll put a bright light on in their run so they can have their evening snack. I leave it on for about an hour, but it’s not every night. I don’t have an electric outlet near their coop so I can’t really leave a light on for very long. The one I have is battery operated. Hopefully her not laying is just related to the shorter days. Thanks.
This is after they've gone to roost?
They get down and come eat?

Not really a good idea.
If they have feed always available, as they should, they will fill their crops before going to roost.

Ah, good point. Usually if I give them a snack after sunset they are just beginning to settle in the coop. Any later and they don’t get it. I usually give them a little scratch in the evening. They do have access to their feed all day. Their feed is located at the bottom of their coop. Thanks.

The same exact thing has happened to me. I have 2 copper marens and 2 easter eggers that are about the exact same age. One of my easter eggers just stopped laying. No idea why. The others are laying pretty regularly. The one that is not laying eats well and seems happy, but I did notice her comb has gotten smaller. I am also guessing this is just a winter thing.

Back
Top Bottom