No eggs in over 3 months!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by patpuglise, Jan 3, 2014.

1. patpuglise

patpuglise New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    I have 3 Bantam chickens, 2 hens and 1 roo. They are just over 1 1/2 yrs old, and I raised them since chicks. The girls appear to be very healthy, but stopped producing eggs. They were molting when I first noticed the missing eggs, then the shorter days, then colder days came, and still no eggs. I keep them in a a 6 ft x 12 ft pen with a clear roof for sunlight. In addition to the regular layer feed, I give them treats of banana, yogurt, cooked eggs, uncooked oatmeal, and occasionally, some super worms. I've read up on it, and still baffled why I get no eggs. Do Bantams stop laying at this age?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Bantams have been primarily selected to serve as lawn ornaments rather than as egg laying machines. They do not lay like the production breeds. Many breeds lay a clutch of eggs, go broody and then repeat the process 4 or 5 times a year laying 50 or so eggs a season. Bantams because of their lower annual production generally lay throughout their entire lives.

3. tuchickens9

tuchickens9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    same happenedd to me i have buff orpington and black autralorps anyone know why? no eggs in three months

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC! X2, bantams are not really bred for egg production. Older chickens need 14 or so hours of light a day to lay and add the shorter days to molting which can take 3+ months to finish, and they are probably not going to start laying again until spring.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of people saying the same about their hens of many breeds. When the longer days of spring start up the egg laying usually does also.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Molting is triggered by hormone changes and the shorter day light hours. Molting can take 2 months and up to 6 months to complete. And even when you think they are done molting, it can still take another month for the hormones to get them back into lay. Each bird and breed is different. Some birds lay during the winter and some completely stop. Some birds require extra lighting to keep them laying thru winter. Give them time and next spring, the egg laying will get back on track.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] hope they start laying again for you soon!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by