NO eggs lately:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sjbaldyga, Dec 14, 2009.

1. sjbaldyga

sjbaldyga New Egg

Dec 14, 2009
    Help by hens have stopped laying since the snow has come to maine. They are not molting and there have been no other changes. What can I do? I have bramahs and orppington hens.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Not much you can do. Some hens quit laying for the winter.

3. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    mine have for the most part quit laying. I might get one egg every other day if I am lucky.

4. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Pardon my laziness... there's a similar post so I copied and pasted my response:

I'm mixxing Calf Manna in with the chicken's regular feed. I read that it helps chickens start laying and I'm delighted with the results. Since I started 3 weeks ago I've gone from 2 eggs a day (with 16 hens!) to 8 or 9 per day! You can also add an artificial light source on a timer inside their coop to extend the "daylight" hours.

Laura

5. crumpet

crumpet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2007
    Do you have a lightbulb in your hen house? They need 14 hours of light a day to lay.

6. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    get some Leghorns. Out of 6 I get atleast 2-3 white eggs a day, usually more. And I don't keep a light on them. I also get an egg from my Silver Laced Wyandotte atleast 5-6 days a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by