No eggs- new chickens!!!

MarkJP

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
Connecticut
Hello everyone,
My wife and I are new to raising chickens and bought 6 chicks (3 different breeds) back in April. They all did fine, but only one- the smallest chicken has been laying on a regular basis. The other 5 have not laid one egg, and here it is mid- November! They get good organic feed and snacks like oatmeal and scratch. Does anybody out their have any suggestions? I know winter is approaching and I don't intend to light their small coop, although I have wired it. Could it be that we have only been relying on layer feed. We have not supplemented them with oyster shell bits although I'm thinking I should get some. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,
My wife and I are new to raising chickens and bought 6 chicks (3 different breeds) back in April. They all did fine, but only one- the smallest chicken has been laying on a regular basis. The other 5 have not laid one egg, and here it is mid- November! They get good organic feed and snacks like oatmeal and scratch. Does anybody out their have any suggestions? I know winter is approaching and I don't intend to light their small coop, although I have wired it. Could it be that we have only been relying on layer feed. We have not supplemented them with oyster shell bits although I'm thinking I should get some. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

For added information, we have 2 Buff Orpingtons (the smaller one has been laying, the other larger one is not), 2 Black Australorps, and 2 Light Brahmas. Don't know if that helps with solving the problem. The small Orpington has been laying for about 4+ weeks now.

Thank you. All the chickens stay in their coop with a large run. We don't free range them due a large number of predators such as red-tailed hawks and coyotes nearby and on our farm. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

They get good organic feed and snacks like oatmeal and scratch. Does anybody out their have any suggestions? I know winter is approaching and I don't intend to light their small coop, although I have wired it. Could it be that we have only been relying on layer feed. We have not supplemented them with oyster shell bits although I'm thinking I should get some. Suggestions?
What is the protein and calcium percentage in your organic feed?
Should be on tag sewn into bottom of bag.
'Layer' feed is usually lower in protein and higher in calcium for birds that are actively laying, not great for still developing birds and can slow their maturity a bit.

How much scratch and oatmeal are you giving per day?

Oyster shell should be available for the one laying,
keep it in a separate container always available.

But unless you are going to use lights, you'll just have to wait until after Solstice when the day begin to lengthen again.

What is the protein and calcium percentage in your organic feed?
Should be on tag sewn into bottom of bag.
'Layer' feed is usually lower in protein and higher in calcium for birds that are actively laying, not great for still developing birds and can slow their maturity a bit.

How much scratch and oatmeal are you giving per day?

Oyster shell should be available for the one laying,
keep it in a separate container always available.

But unless you are going to use lights, you'll just have to wait until after Solstice when the day begin to lengthen again.
Ok, we feed them an organic layer feed that has 16% protein, not sure about calcium because I threw the bag away. I guess I need feed that has a higher protein level first off. We did purchase these birds in early spring and they are pretty big now. Regarding scratch, we give them a small scoop per day and the wife varies their treats daily. Not too much, just as a small supplement. I understand that feeding too many treats takes them away from their food. Started with the oyster shells for the small one who has been laying for about 5-6 weeks now. No planning on using lights in the coop. It is a small one and even though I installed a light fixture with a 20 watt bulb, I'm afraid that they might be able to get at it and peck it. No fires needed, nor broken glass. Thanks for your questions. I hope this gives you a bit more information.

Even if feeding layer feed, provide a dish with crushed oyster shells. The chickens will supplement if needed. Some of the breeds you have tend to mature a bit slower. Even if same breed, they may not start laying at the same time. I’ve had most laying around 24-26 weeks but one didn’t start till she was 9 months old. Perfectly healthy, just kept me in suspense.

Ok, we feed them an organic layer feed that has 16% protein, not sure about calcium because I threw the bag away. I guess I need feed that has a higher protein level first off.
Yeah, best not to feed layer feed until they are laying....water under the bridge at this point, but might be good to cut out the scratch and treats.

Back
Top Bottom