No Eggs! Stopped laying

disfanjoanne

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
NW Arkansas
I am a newbie to chickens. I got 4 1yr old Production Reds last May. They laid well and I typically got 3-4 eggs a day from the flock. This winter they slowed to about 2-3 eggs a day, but then in February when we had that cold snap they stopped altogether. The last few eggs we got were very thin-shelled or even shellless. I lost one hen in early March. She didn't go back into the coop in a rainstorm and got chilled. I moved her into the coop, but the next morning found her dead. In Early May I noticed diarrhea in the flock and 1 hen looking not so good. I took a stool sample to a vet. He diagnosed worms and coccidiosis. We treated both. The sickly chicken seemed to be more active and doing better, but 2 weeks later she rapidly declined again and we decided to cull her. It has now been over a month since we finished all treatments and they are still not laying. I added oyster shell to the coop in case they were lacking there. I'm getting tired of buying eggs. Will, they ever lay again, or should I just cull them now and get new hens?

How do they look health-wise now? Eating and drinking and active as before? The worms and coccidiosis could've really caused a lot of physical stress which would knock them out of laying. Also sounds like they're coming up on 2 years now, which for production birds is towards the tail end of their productive phase. I think you should still get some eggs once they recover fully from all the medical issues but they're unlikely to be as prolific as before.

I got 4 1yr old Production Reds last May.
They were 12 months old when you got them in May of 2020?
Were did you get them from?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @disfanjoanne
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623843544691.png

The hens are looking good now. Active, eating, and drinking. One is a little skinnier than the other. Yes, they would be 2 years old now. I purchased them from a local farmer who was selling them as 1 yr old laying hens. My understanding was they were extras they were getting rid of. I feed layer pellets and they get free range of my backyard. I recently added oyster shell as well.

I did find a video that showed how to see if they are laying by measuring the pubic bones. 1 is definitely not laying, only 1 finger width, but the other one had about 2 and a little finger width. The second one being the bigger of my hens.

So there might still be hope that I may get eggs. I do recognize that I won't get as many as before, just due to age, but I would like some eggs.

they get free range of my backyard.
They/she may be laying out in the range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom