No eggs the last 5-6 weeks!!

Hessk

Songster
Oct 6, 2018
South Georgia
All my chickens stopped laying at least 5 weeks ago. They usually free range but I’ve been holding them hostage to make sure they weren’t hiding eggs. The weather isn’t any hotter than it was the entire beginning of the summer when they were all laying really good. A few look like they’re molting. How long does molting last and is it possible that all 8 chickens would molt at the same time?

-Normal poops
-Normal big appetites
-No change in food
-lots of access to grit
-Tons of fresh water
-Temp in the mid to high 90’s
-No signs of mites or lice infestation

All my chickens stopped laying at least 5 weeks ago. They usually free range but I’ve been holding them hostage to make sure they weren’t hiding eggs. The weather isn’t any hotter than it was the entire beginning of the summer when they were all laying really good. A few look like they’re molting. How long does molting last and is it possible that all 8 chickens would molt at the same time?

-Normal poops
-Normal big appetites
-No change in food
-lots of access to grit
-Tons of fresh water
Yes, it's possible for all 8 to start molting at the same time. The days are getting shorter. Egg production will drop in hens.
How are you keeping your flock cool in that heat?
Are you offering electrolyte water about twice a week? That will help them cope with the stress of molting and the heat.
It can take months for a chicken to complete a molt depending on how hard the molt is.

-Normal poops
-Normal big appetites
-No change in food
-lots of access to grit
-Tons of fresh water
All good info...but...
How old are they, in months?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-24_10-6-43.png

All good info...but...
How old are they, in months?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1916754

All different ages. Two are about 18 months. 2 are a few years old. 4 are less than 8 months old (3 out of the 4 have not started laying yet). I added my location! South Georgia, right on the Florida line.

I've gone from 9-11 average from 12 hens to 4-5 eggs daily, 3 are molting but it's a light molt, same food, they free range an hour or two every evening, nothing has changed, maybe they need to be wormed?
I've gone from 9-11 average from 12 hens to 4-5 eggs daily, 3 are molting but it's a light molt, same food, they free range an hour or two every evening, nothing has changed, maybe they need to be wormed?
Would I see worms in their droppings if they had them?

Some worms can't be seen with the naked eye. If their plumage is 'off' as well, you can seriously consider molting. You can speed the molting process by offering higher protein feed, and if that's simply not available at your feed store, then grind up dry cat food (typically 30% protein) and mix that at a 50/50 ratio (by weight, not volume) with their normal feed. A treat of rice with peas (no more than 10% of their total daily rations) can speed the regrowth of their feathers by providing a large boost in their lysine and methionine levels, but their overall protein intake will take a hit as both rice and peas offer less protein than their standard balanced feed. You can feed the rice and peas 'raw', but it tastes much better when cooked. My chickens will spit out 'raw' peas, which kind of defeats the purpose of feeding them :D

Last edited:
All different ages. Two are about 18 months. 2 are a few years old. 4 are less than 8 months old (3 out of the 4 have not started laying yet). I added my location! South Georgia, right on the Florida line.
Older ones are reacting to the shortening days...and may molt soon, or later.
The younger ones may come online anywhere between now and after solstice.
Good protein levels will help with growing more feathers.
What is the protein percentage in the feed you are using?

Only round worms and tapes are visible in droppings.....the rest are microscopic.

Older ones are reacting to the shortening days...and may molt soon, or later.
The younger ones may come online anywhere between now and after solstice.
Good protein levels will help with growing more feathers.
What is the protein percentage in the feed you are using?

Their feed is 16% protein. I bought a huge bag of mealworms so I’ve been throwing those out there along with canned tuna fish sometimes. Our property is over run by frogs and lizards and bugs so I just assumed they do alright on their own when it came to extra protein but maybe not.

Their feed is 16% protein. I bought a huge bag of mealworms so I’ve been throwing those out there along with canned tuna fish sometimes. Our property is over run by frogs and lizards and bugs so I just assumed they do alright on their own when it came to extra protein but maybe not.
Tuna or other fish in water is good, I've read mackerel is the best fat-wise.
Mealworms are high in fat so go lightly there.
The other animal proteins they have available are great!
I'd not worry.

Back
Top Bottom