No eggs today and only one yesterday...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RIRSNCHICKENJOE, May 12, 2009.

1. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    I want to let them free range...but I am afraid she may have laid an egg outside of the nest box somewhere while she was free ranging yesterday. [​IMG] still no eggs today and I am trying to figure out why they have started laying into the evening. Is that just what chickens do? LOL Plus one of them wants to roost in the nest box at night... what is up with that? is it more comfy?
    tia!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They could have a hiding place for the eggs. I quite often find mine buried..... It is normal for them to choose odd places to sleep at night too. As far as normal goes for a chicken....

3. cassie0980

cassie0980 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    I free range all our chickens (7) and the three that are laying always come back to the coop to nest in the boxes. We usually get three eggs, but occasionally we only get one, or even none. Make sure there isn't anything wrong with the nesting box, like maybe a draft or too much light. Find out how many eggs per week your breed produces, it may just be the 'day off'.

4. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I free range my 10 hens and rooster. Most come back to the coop & lay their eggs in the nest. But a few like to hide in different places. I listen and when I hear the "Lay that egg" tune. I go in search of the newest hiding spot.. LOL [​IMG]

5. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I keep mine in the coop till after noon & then check them to see if they have a egg ready, If so then they go on the nest & don't go outside until after they lay. I'm still trying to get all of them using the nesting boxes.

6. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    getting to know my hens better. I have one that lays daily, around 9 am. Then one that lays every other day around 3 pm. How crazy is that?!? so far when they free range they do come back to the nesting box. [​IMG] Thanks for the advice!

7. stephaniej2004

stephaniej2004 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    If they "hide" them, do they hide them in the coop or outside somewhere. Ours do not free range, but they have a good sized run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by