No eggs today and only one yesterday...

RIRSNCHICKENJOE

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
I want to let them free range...but I am afraid she may have laid an egg outside of the nest box somewhere while she was free ranging yesterday.
sad.png
still no eggs today and I am trying to figure out why they have started laying into the evening. Is that just what chickens do? LOL Plus one of them wants to roost in the nest box at night... what is up with that? is it more comfy?
tia!

Last edited:
They could have a hiding place for the eggs. I quite often find mine buried..... It is normal for them to choose odd places to sleep at night too. As far as normal goes for a chicken....

I free range all our chickens (7) and the three that are laying always come back to the coop to nest in the boxes. We usually get three eggs, but occasionally we only get one, or even none. Make sure there isn't anything wrong with the nesting box, like maybe a draft or too much light. Find out how many eggs per week your breed produces, it may just be the 'day off'.

I free range my 10 hens and rooster. Most come back to the coop & lay their eggs in the nest. But a few like to hide in different places. I listen and when I hear the "Lay that egg" tune. I go in search of the newest hiding spot.. LOL
lol.png

I keep mine in the coop till after noon & then check them to see if they have a egg ready, If so then they go on the nest & don't go outside until after they lay. I'm still trying to get all of them using the nesting boxes.

getting to know my hens better. I have one that lays daily, around 9 am. Then one that lays every other day around 3 pm. How crazy is that?!? so far when they free range they do come back to the nesting box.
smile.png
Thanks for the advice!

If they "hide" them, do they hide them in the coop or outside somewhere. Ours do not free range, but they have a good sized run.

Back
Top Bottom