1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs today? I average 20+!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Xanatos, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Xanatos

Xanatos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Normally I get about 20+ eggs from my 26 plymouth barred rock hens, yesterday, 0, today, maybe 3 i think. I am not sure what it could be, I'm cleaning out the waterers which needed it, so i Hope it isnt sickness - and I have recently introduced a Male to the population in the hopes of getting some little ones, and I think 2-3 of the hens might be brooding on some eggs now, but what about the rest?

2. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    bump

3. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    A good ol moult can cause laying to come to a hault. Also we are beginning to lose daylight. How old are the hens?

Brandon

4. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    not even a year, I think I got most of them as hatchlings in April/may, this is their first laying season

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Was it 20 to 0 or a slow decrease? Maybe someone is stealing your eggs? Check for bugs and worms. Molt or hidden nest

6. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    it was eggs 20ish + in all 10 boxes every day to almost no eggs, maybe 3 a day, with the 2 brooding, I'm not seeing any unusual amount of feathers on the ground (molting right?) or any hidden nests...

I thought maybe it was something to do with the 2-3 broody hens going broody at the time.

7. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Are your girls hiding eggs under the broody hens?

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I didn't think of the broodies. Are you out during the day?

9. Xanatos

Jan 14, 2010
    some of the hens do lay under the broodies, ya, and i go out at different times during the day.

10. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Have you changed feed. I heard this can cause them to slow down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by