No eggs yet but lots of mounting (normal?)

mdbucks
lau.gif
thats one of the reasons why I am laughing so hard and so amazed since he DOES KNOW about the deed between humans LOL. It is a little sad though, kids learning about it at younger and younger ages as the years pass. Heck, when I was 12 all I thought about was who was going to break the window next with the football
lau.gif
gig.gif
or who was home with a pool!!! Oh well. Have a good weekend all

Tes

I have a couple things to add

First of all this is the funniest thread in quite some time.

Second of all I apparently need to be taught about the bees as I have been following my 2 little pullets around too !

Kim

The youngest rooster "love" activity I ever witnessed was by my black Ameraucana, Scout. He was doing the deed with my Speckled Sussex girl at 8 weeks old, the little stud-muffin, LOL. Obviously, there were no eggs going to be coming anytime soon!

Is it ok if I let my 1 year old roo in with my 14 week old girls then? He's so lonely.
sad.png
If they mate so young anyway won't it be ok?

Trisha, you can try it one afternoon with supervision. See how it goes. My flock rooster, Hawkeye, a Barred Rock, is very gentle and sweet with the young pullets. He did not attempt to mate any of them till they were already laying eggs, but then again, he is very laid back and fatherly and just a total love. Yours may be different. If they don't squat for him, he may not try to force them.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you've answered a post of mine about how he grabs them by the neck through the fence and pulls out feathers. He came from a home where he could mate freely. That's what has me scared. Of course I'll have to wait until his mites are gone.

Last edited:
He might not do that so roughly if there isn't a fence between them, but you really won't know till you put them together. A few of my hens are almost bald from the rooster holding them by the back of the head when mating. That's a normal thing, but can look rather brutal at times, especially if the pullet is alot smaller than the rooster.

Quote:
He's only grabed 4-5 girls in the time we've had him. I check the girls almost every night for mites when they're roosting. None so far.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom