No eggs yet

GooGooGaChoob

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
San Diego
I keep trios of 11-week old coturnix in wire cages of about 20"x20". They do not have nesting boxes, but do have trays of soil for dust baths. Each cage is roofed, they are fed 21% protein game feed, have food and water around the clock, but still no eggs. What's wrong with this setup? Thanks in advance.

Not all quail start laying right at 8 weeks. I don't worry about anything until well after 12 weeks. They get stressed easy by prowling predators loud noises,and being moved to new cages along with a jillion other things but until they are actually grown it's hard to say if they aren't laying because a cat is bothering them or because they aren't ready yet.

I plan to attempt using birdhouse gourds as nesting boxes, but I think my 70-lb. German Shepherd puppy and my Tom cat may be slowing down the process.

Last edited:
My quail just recently started laying this past month at 10 weeks old. We are at 12 weeks old now, and some of the ladies still haven't started. Adding supplemental light may help this early in the year.

I don't even know how old mine are now and I still haven't gotten a single egg! =/

Forget I said anything. Before I could cut up a birdhouse gourd, they started laying. The irony is today I planned to slaughter a few. Now there's a motivator.

So glad you got eggs!! :)

I wanted to suggest upping their protein. Mine were on 30% and started laying early, and produce an egg a day (at least) at 6 months old. I also give them daily calcium.

Enjoy the eggs! In a few days you might have enough for an omelette.

Walrus, patience is the key for most everything quail related.... patience on having them hatch, patience on learning their sex... patience on receiving eggs...
James

Back
Top Bottom