No Eggs

BRAHMA-MAMA2011

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
sad.png
Ijust Spent The Last 3 Hours Scouting My Peeps Fav Places And No Eggs. They Range From 22-25 Weeks And Are The Heinz 57 Crew! RIR, Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas. It's Getting Old Doing An Easter Egg Hunt In September! How Do My Hens Learn Where To Lay?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Maryland.

Like the earlier post said, keep them in their pen/coop for a while. Also, put some golf balls or ceramic eggs in their nest boxes. Believe me, that first egg takes a lot of patience! Only one of my eight has started and so far have gotten 5 in a week. She took today off with my blessings.
D.gif

Good luck!

wait.... is that true? I'm free-ranging our ~4 month old brood of 14 chickens. No eggs yet. Should I be keeping them inside to get them going?

Welcome...Are you feeding them laying feed? I mixed my growing feed with laying feed for one week...then gave only laying feed and within two days my RIR's were laying. They were 20 weeks when they started laying. Now all but one girl is laying. I have 2 EE, 2 Buff Orphingtons and 2 RIR. I also left golf balls in a couple of nesting boxes at 19 weeks. They had no problem knowing where to lay. They do free range but mainly later in the day when I am home and out working in the yard. They tend to lay in the morning. If you end up keeping them in the coop/run area do it early in the day and see if they will lay in the coop. If you don't have a nesting box, make a quick one out of a couple of big shoe boxes or plastic tubs big enough for them to fit in. Of course fill with straw or shavings.

Good luck.. It's exciting getting your first egg.

Back
Top Bottom