No eggs?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flip-N-Flogging, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Flip-N-Flogging

Flip-N-Flogging Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    So, I haven't gotten an egg in close to two weeks, is this just normal winter time behavior or have I done something wrong?

2. Flip-N-Flogging

Flip-N-Flogging Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Sorry, I have five laying hens that were all laying once to twice a day.

3. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    It is normal in the winer for hens top stop laying. There is not as much daylight and they spend their energy keeping warm. [​IMG]

Are you sure some were laying twice a day? I've heard that this almost never happens, if at all.

4. ks_twin_mom

ks_twin_mom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Hey!

I had the same issue with my 5 original hens - practically one per hen per day... then nothing. (We also have 10 new hens that are just starting to lay at 22-23 weeks old - but they are laying white eggs; my originals are brown egg layers so I knew they had stopped) I re-read posts about winter activity and they say the lack of daylight hours in winter is what causes them to slow-down or stop laying. Many others here on BYC have lights in their coops/houses with a timer - fooling them into laying. Some are opposed to this, saying you should allow the chickens body to do what it does naturally. I see it both ways but personally I think if adding a light is all it takes, diet and care is the same; is it really harming them? Don't know for sure but... we put in the light with a timer that comes on at 3:30 a.m. and today... we got our usualy 6-7 white eggs and ...

[​IMG]

A brown egg! It worked!! Yeah!! Hoping to see more brown eggs like we had before.. with 15 hens we should be seeing 12-14 eggs per day!

Good luck to you.. timers are cheap right now in the Christmas light sections of stores - on Clearance!! [​IMG]

Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by