no eggs

Sharibug

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I got my 6 hens on Saturday and only one of them is laying eggs - one a day. could this be stress from the move? they are all eating well and moving about, seem to be "okay". the pen we keep them in is a lot smaller than they are used to - they had free range where they came from. we live in town so have to keep them in a pen, but it's about 18 x 18, complete with coop and all....we also clipped their wings so they couldn't fly out of the pen - doesn't have a top on it. any ideas?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chickens don't like to be rehomed. So it is very common for them to stop laying for a few weeks. Give them time to adjust to their new home. Keep the noise and stress down, and go sit with them each day to help calm them down. Bring some goodies with you too. Food is a wonderful bonding agent.

Keep some fake eggs in the nest boxes too. This will not only help them to know where you want them to lay, but ease their minds on laying there as well.

Good luck with your new birds and I hope those eggs start coming back down the pipes soon!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Yes, it could be stress from the move. It may take a couple of weeks for them all to start laying. Were they all laying before you got them, and do you know how old they are? Its possible that they aren't old enough to lay, or that they are rather old.

Your pen should be big enough. Chickens love having lots of room, but an 18 x 18 enclosure with a coop should be large enough for them to at least be happy.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chickens don't like to be rehomed. So it is very common for them to stop laying for a few weeks. Give them time to adjust to their new home. Keep the noise and stress down, and go sit with them each day to help calm them down. Bring some goodies with you too. Food is a wonderful bonding agent.

Keep some fake eggs in the nest boxes too. This will not only help them to know where you want them to lay, but ease their minds on laying there as well.

Good luck with your new birds and I hope those eggs start coming back down the pipes soon!
X2 what @TwoCrows said....you need to give them time to readjust to their new "digs" ....

yes they were all laying before I got them. they range from 1 to 3 years old. I have one that is molting and she's cranky, but the rest seem to be doing fine. thanks for your help!

When they molt, they can stop laying until they are done regrowing in the feathers. They can get cranky, distant, shy, all kinds of personality changes. Molting is pretty stressful on birds.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X3 chickens don't like being rehomed. Causes stress on them. Give them time.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new flock, hopefully they start back up again soon for you!

Back
Top Bottom