No fertile eggs, what the heck do I do with them?

Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
orange county
I have a very committed, highly broody/determined goose sitting on a ton of her own+ adopted eggs. Its been weeks and I figured I'd see how committed she really was. None of the eggs are fertile...just-eeeewe-rotten I'm sure. They are in a tough to reach place-under their raised coop in a back corner and my goose will NOT leave them, nomatter what I do to get her up. I'm starting to worry she'll die of starvation.

I loathe the idea of moving these eggs as I know some are decomposing/stuck together and I have no idea what I can do with them (I don't think I can compost them.
Should I just squeeze a few goslings from the feed store under her when its dark to pacify her? I also really don't know what to do with all these eggs...probably 30+ and counting-thanks to my ducks who lay every day right next to her so she can add to her collection.

Never had to deal with this before...HELP!

SA Farm

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Replace all the nasty rotting eggs with either some fertile ones you buy or some day-olds. Do the switch at night and keep a close eye on her/them to be sure she's accepted them. With how determined she is, you *shouldn't* have a problem.
Good luck and keep us posted please!

Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
orange county
I ordered some day old ducklings for her, they arrive friday. Will stuff them under her at night.
I've never done naturally raised ducklings before and I wonder if I need to put out special food/greens, waterer etc.my other ducks will just dirty the water/eat the food, or the Goose will...I guess I'll have to check out holderread's book again and prep the whole yard. I hope the day olds bond with her, I am not raising more ducks!
I hope the goose doesn't sever any of my fingers! she is extremely defensive-unlike she has ever been before.

bobbi-j

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
I wouldn't do anything special. I'd just let the momma raise them as she will. I guess it depends on how much you paid for these babies and how much of a chance you want to take. I'm glad you're giving her some babies. I always feel sorry for a dedicated broody who's sitting on eggs that won't hatch.

Top Bottom