No fertile eggs, what the heck do I do with them?

Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
orange county
I have a very committed, highly broody/determined goose sitting on a ton of her own+ adopted eggs. Its been weeks and I figured I'd see how committed she really was. None of the eggs are fertile...just-eeeewe-rotten I'm sure. They are in a tough to reach place-under their raised coop in a back corner and my goose will NOT leave them, nomatter what I do to get her up. I'm starting to worry she'll die of starvation.

I loathe the idea of moving these eggs as I know some are decomposing/stuck together and I have no idea what I can do with them (I don't think I can compost them.
Should I just squeeze a few goslings from the feed store under her when its dark to pacify her? I also really don't know what to do with all these eggs...probably 30+ and counting-thanks to my ducks who lay every day right next to her so she can add to her collection.

Never had to deal with this before...HELP!

Replace all the nasty rotting eggs with either some fertile ones you buy or some day-olds. Do the switch at night and keep a close eye on her/them to be sure she's accepted them. With how determined she is, you *shouldn't* have a problem.
Good luck and keep us posted please!
thumbsup.gif

I ordered some day old ducklings for her, they arrive friday. Will stuff them under her at night.
I've never done naturally raised ducklings before and I wonder if I need to put out special food/greens, waterer etc.my other ducks will just dirty the water/eat the food, or the Goose will...I guess I'll have to check out holderread's book again and prep the whole yard. I hope the day olds bond with her, I am not raising more ducks!
I hope the goose doesn't sever any of my fingers! she is extremely defensive-unlike she has ever been before.

I wouldn't do anything special. I'd just let the momma raise them as she will. I guess it depends on how much you paid for these babies and how much of a chance you want to take. I'm glad you're giving her some babies. I always feel sorry for a dedicated broody who's sitting on eggs that won't hatch.

Back
Top Bottom