What to do with all the fertilized eggs?

Jolene153

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Hello! Posted my question in the intro so I edited it and found the correct forum 🙂 I have fertilized eggs, daily, I separate the clean ones and if there's any woth poop on them I put them in egg containers and move them to a shelf. Read I could store them for up to 5 months unwashed. That info was wrong. I pitched them all today after reading some of these messages. Starting fresh, wondering what do you all do with all your eggs? We can't possibly eat this many and my neighbors don't want anymore lol. Any advice helps! Thanks!

- post them for sale on Craigslist, next door, or Facebook marketplace (or your feed store bulletin board, or, or...)
- if you have a local farmers market, head down there and see if you can get someone who regularly has a booth might like to take a cut to market some fresh eggs from their spot.
- if you have a small “hometown” type of store, you could ask them the same question
- if you have another chicken keeper nearby who already has established egg customers, ask if they would like more eggs and to give you a cut of the profits from yours
......if you try any of the above, make sure to clarify a plan for any no- sales, or bad eggs / complaints. Don’t get taken advantage of.
- if you live on a road where you have some traffic and a safe place to stop, you could set up an “eggs for sale” spot and put eggs out in the mornings in a cooler for people to self serve
- I personally decided to invest in a Harvest Right freeze dryer. It is an investment. But, in the medium unit, with tray dividers (sold separately from a different web site), I can do 40 eggs at a time. Store in Mylar bags w oxygen absorbers, and they last ~25 years. Crack and whisk. Freeze dry. Toss in a blender/ food processor. Label your bags w how many eggs are in each.
Open the bags. Add cool water, whisk to bring back to “fresh” consistency, and cook a scramble, omelette, or use for baking.
We backpack, camp, raft, hike, and use the freeze dryer for lots of garden veggies, fruits, snacks, and meals. We don’t have to take a huge cooler anymore when we head out- because we freeze dry lots of meals and they do not need to be refrigerated, and are very lightweight.
-not the same as a dehydrator-
....and likely not worth the investment if you are only concerned about your eggs.
For anyone who may be curious,
Live.Life.Simple
And
Living Traditions Homestead
Are my favorite YouTube channels that get into freeze drying food.
And Harvest Right’s web page has a lot of good info as well.
Made in Utah. Great company to work with đź’•

Last edited:
Many people scramble them up and feed them back to their hens. You can even keep the broken egg shells in the eggs, since that provides extra calcium.

Curious where you read unwashed eggs could be stored for 5 months at room temperature, and sorry you ended up with a bunch of rotten eggs. However, unwashed eggs CAN be stored for that length of time and longer by coating the shells in mineral oil, or using a technique called waterglassing. I tried the mineral oil technique many years ago, simply because I was curious. I can vouch that it works; the eggs were still good several momths later. And will add that I somehow overlooked coating one of those eggs, and it was Completely rotten. I will link articles on each of the preservation techniques, but there are tons more, as well as youtube videos, on the internet.
https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/preserving-eggs-in-mineral-oil/

Though ive never tried to preserve eggs through waterglasding, I have an egg customer who regularly buys clean, unwashed eggs from me, eats some of them fresh, and uses the waterglassing technique to preserve others.
https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/wa... is Water glassing Eggs,day the hen laid them.

I have had unwashed eggs store for months in a mini fridge.
Even a few months on the counter of the house is cool and they are set pointy end down
But.
I never fail to first crack an egg into a small bowl, before adding it to the larger bowl, when preparing them.
Any question, it’s easy to dump the egg and clean the small bowl- and not waste them all!

Back
Top Bottom