1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No flock, no coop....starting from scratch (not even that!)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chemguy, May 30, 2011.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to keeping chickens, though I've had the desire to do so for a long time. I'm looking forward to being a member here, and a brief read of the message boards shows me that I'm in the right place. At present, my assets include 2.5 acres of partly wooded property just outside of Springfield, Ohio, access to scrap lumber and, most importantly, a very tolerant spouse who is willing to indulge me. I'll be posting questions and providing my experience as I get started, and would be pleased to hear from others who might like to provide advice, or to let me know that they're in my area. Looking forward to it all!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] and yes you have found the right place to learn all there is to learn about chickens! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Chemguy

Is Springfield near Toledo? I think it is -- right out there by Holland. (Grew up in Maumee)

Just wanted to say 'hi' and 'welcome' and encourage you --- because you will probably LOVE having chickens as much as everyone else on this forum. Good luck with the plans and the progress!

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hi ChicKat,

Springfield is in soutwestern Ohio, about 30 minutes west of Dayton, 1 hour north of Cinci, 3 hours due east of Indianapolis. It takes about 3 hours to drive to Toledo from here. Thanks for the welcome!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome and it sounds like a nice property for chickens.
    They can quickly denude a small space so plan for that, predator protection, protection from heat and good coop ventilation.

7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] This is a great forum for chicken (and all poultry) keeper! I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends here. [​IMG] I will just give you this advice.....build your coop larger than you think you need, because once you start keeping chickens you will want more! [​IMG]

8. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] You couldn't come to a better place to learn and get ideas and support. I'm so thankful that a friend sent me the link.

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Hi there from southern california and [​IMG]. You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful and im sure you will get great advice. [​IMG]

10. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Hi and welcome - you're gonna LOVE it here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by