No fuzzies on the bottom

manaze88

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Berryville, Virginia
I have a chicken (easter egger) that is just over 2 years old. For a while she's had no fuzzy feathers on her bottom. I'm assuming one of the other chickens is plucking them, as I had 1 other chicken that was being aggressive to the other birds, which I have isolated for the past several weeks. While other chickens had feathers on their back that have grown in, this one hasn't grown the fuzzy feathers back in on her bottom yet.

I've also noticed that her eggs are a little thinner shelled (more fragile) than the others.

Is this just a case of a chicken plucking her own bottom, one of the other girls doing it for her, or something to be worried about?

I can get pictures if necessary.

If she has no mites or lice, likely someone is pecking her. If follicles are viable she may fuzz back up after a molt?
I have 6 hens, bare butts showed up in 5 of 6 last fall. No mites no lice. Thought they were space stressed and doubled their home size. Some are molting now and new pin feathers are coming in the bare areas….but witnessed the one never bare bottomed pecking the others new emerging fluff. And she is not stressed.

Also, there's a lot of discussions in BYC forums and on net searches about bare bums, bare butts. Seems that this happens sometimes in the best layers without explanation.

Thin shells, I think, are from either low calcium or genetics. Make sure she gets adequate nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom