No grit?

Ok, I was under the impression that chickens that get out and about don't need grit. I thought they picked up little stones and dirt while they pecked around in the yard.
My chicken yard is about 15 by 25 ft. They've been in it for about a month and they just about have it devoid of vegatation.
Do I need to be buying them grit?

I don't know if they need it, but it is cheap, and mine eat quite abit of it. So I would offer it. I use a little bird feeder cup that hangs on the wire.

so do they actually eat it like 'mmm this is good,' or do they just pick it up with their food sort of accidentally? I just throw my grit in with their food and assumed they got it while eating the other, I didnt realize they would actually eat it if it were seperate.

We had a load of gravel fines (also called screenings) delivered when the front walkway was put in. I still have a pile on the driveway, and that's what I give my girls in a small bowl in their run. They free-range for about an hour a day, and I give them sunflower, squash, and melon seeds as treats, so I know they need some grit for their digestion. Whether they get it from free-ranging or the grit I offer, I dont know. I do know that I have to refill the bowl from time to time. So something is happening to it!
smile.png

Quote:
We don't mix the grit with the feed. It is in a separate container, which happens to be next to the container of oyster shell. The birds eat both as they need it.

Last edited:
Quote:
We don't mix the grit with the feed. It is in a separate container, which happens to be next to the container of oyster shell. The birds eat both as they need it.

That is what I do, just to be sure...they eat the grit, and just pick at the oyster shell. But it is there for them just in case....

Back
Top Bottom