No idea what she is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wallace, Jun 17, 2007.

1. wallace

wallace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Here's a picture. She's got pretty coloring, but I can't figure out what she is.

[​IMG]

One thing notable - she doesn't have a proper comb. She did have a typical comb-like ridge when she was a chick, but it's been replaced by a wider, fuzzy pink patch. I'm pretty sure her girlfriend there is a Black Austrolorp.

[​IMG]

One more picture.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Might she be some kind of Araucana half-breed?

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    She kinda looks like my Americauna, which is probably an Easter Egger mixed breed but was labeled Araucana at the feed store. However, your hen has no beard or muffs, which mine does. I don't know if that helps.

I like her rear feathers. Neat barring.

-MTchick

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I have a beautiful hen, though a different color than yours, that is an EE and she has no muffs or beard but does have the same comb. Since they are cross breeds they don't all always have all the traits. But I do have some with very similar coloration as yours with beards & muffs. Sooooo, I think your girl is an EE/Americauna/Aracauna. I think.......

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    She has yellow legs, EEs would either have blue or green.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Buttercup?

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    No its not a buttercup, she looks nothing like mine. I don't know what she is maybe a cross of some sort?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  7. wallace

wallace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    I found this website, http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/staff/wing/chickens.htm, that says this is an Araucana. I know it's not a proper Araucana, but the feathering is identical to mine. For now I'm going to assume she's an EE, and we'll see when she starts laying eggs. Although I don't know what to make of the bright yellow legs.

[​IMG]

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I agree.........either ameraucana or EE.

9. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    deffanetly a road island red! [​IMG]

10. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I agree w/ Beckyla! Hatchery "Amercauna's" (aka EE's) are mixes and don't always have the same traits. Definitely has EE eyes and coloring, the yellow legs, well maybe whatever her mother is has them, In order to get the blue egg strain their father would have to be either EE or Amercauna, I doubt hatcheries use Aracuanas since they are a rare breed and have a terrible hatch rate, due to a lethal gene. So my guess, she's a mix, which most supposed "Americauna's" from hatcheries are, or feed stores, if you want the real deal you have to go to private dealer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by