no longer using nestbox?

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
My hen/pullet has been laying an egg a day-every day-since May/June- and has always used her nest box. When another pullet first used "her" box, she threw such a fit-and clucked/bawked/carried on so loudly- you could hear her across the street. She kept it up for about thirty minutes.

That said, she continued to lay in her nest box anyhow. I was collecting two eggs a day from that box. I added another box, and I would get either two in that box, or one in each. For the past week, my original layer has started laying on the coop floor-right by the door that I use.

Now, she has progressively started laying earlier and earlier. She started out laying between nine and nine thirty and gradually it has now become 5:30/ 6:00 a.m. Until today.

Today, she came out of the coop and frantically began searching for 'something'. Squeezing herself in tight areas, running frantically around- until I picked her up and cuddled her and put her into her original nest box with some new hay.
She laid her egg approximately ten minutes later. In the nest box.

Whats going on with her?

She needs new wallpaper? A fresh vase of flowers?
lol.png

I have a couple of hens that occasionally chose to lay somewhere other than the nest box. They don't do it that often, thankfully so I'm not concerned about it. I did have one that started laying her eggs in the corner of the coop and then burying them under the shavings! I just happened to see part of an egg sticking out or I wouldn't have even known. I put a large, flat board over the bedding in that spot and she went back to laying in the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom